Filipino Beef Stew Recipe

bhella

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone! I just wanted to share a recipe that’s been a staple in my family for generations—Filipino Beef Stew, or as we call it, "Nilaga." It’s super comforting, especially on a chilly day, and the flavors are so simple yet satisfying. I thought some of you might enjoy trying it out!

Ingredients:

• 2 lbs beef shank or chuck, cut into large cubes
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 5-6 cups water (enough to cover the meat)
  • 2-3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 2-3 carrots, cut into chunks
  • 1 small head of cabbage, quartered
  • 2-3 saba bananas (optional but traditional!), peeled and halved
  • 2-3 tbsp fish sauce (patis) or salt to taste
  • 1 tsp whole peppercorns
  • A bunch of green beans (or bok choy works too)
  • Fresh ground pepper to taste
  • A squeeze of calamansi or lemon (optional)
Instructions:

1. Start by boiling the beef in a large pot with water, onion, and peppercorns. Skim off any scum that rises to the top as it cooks. Let it simmer for about 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the beef is tender. You can use a pressure cooker if you're in a hurry.
  2. Once the beef is tender, add the potatoes and carrots to the pot. Cook until they’re almost done, about 10-15 minutes.
  3. Toss in the cabbage, green beans, and saba bananas if you're using them. Let everything cook until the veggies are tender but not mushy.
  4. Season with fish sauce or salt to taste. Give it a good stir and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
  5. Serve hot with a side of steamed rice, and maybe a little squeeze of calamansi or lemon on top for a bit of brightness.
That’s it! Super simple but so hearty and delicious. Hope you guys give it a try, and if you do, let me know how it turns out! 😋
Filipino Beef Stew Recipe.jpg

Filipino beef stew is such a comforting dish! 🍲 The flavors must be so rich after slow cooking!

Hey! 🤗 That sounds amazing! I've never tried Filipino Beef Stew before, but it sounds super comforting. Perfect for a cozy day! 🍲😋 Can’t wait to give it a go! Thanks for sharing! 🌟

This Filipino Beef Stew sounds amazing and perfect for a cozy day in—thanks for sharing this classic recipe! 🌟🍲 Will definitely have to give it a try!

Back