French Toast Casserole Recipe

Joseez

Culinary Explorer
French toast is a beloved breakfast classic, but who has time to stand over the stove flipping slices on a busy weekend morning? This French toast casserole is your answer! It's a simple yet impressive dish that's perfect for feeding a crowd, and it can be prepped ahead for a stress-free breakfast.

Imagine: waking up to the warm, inviting aroma of cinnamon and caramelized sugar wafting through your kitchen. This casserole is not just delicious, it's a beautiful way to start the day.

French Toast Casserole Recipe.jpg

Here's what you'll need to gather your ingredients:
  • Bread: 8-10 cups of cubed bread (challah, brioche, or French bread work well). Day-old bread is actually perfect for this recipe as it absorbs the custard better.
  • Eggs: 6 large eggs
  • Milk: 2 cups of milk (whole milk or a combination of milk and cream for extra richness)
  • Sugar: ½ cup of white or brown sugar (or a mixture of both)
  • Vanilla Extract: 2 teaspoons
  • Cinnamon: 1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
  • Nutmeg (optional): ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Butter: ¼ cup melted butter (for drizzling)
Now that you're prepped, let's get cooking!
  1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. Cube your bread: Tear or cut your bread into 1-inch cubes and scatter them evenly in the prepared baking dish.
  3. Whisk together the wet ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg (if using).
  4. Pour the custard over the bread: Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread cubes, making sure most of the bread gets coated. You can gently press down on the bread to help it absorb the custard.
  5. Let it sit (optional): If you have time, let the casserole sit for 30 minutes at room temperature. This allows the bread to soak up even more flavor.
  6. Bake until golden brown: Drizzle the melted butter over the top of the casserole and sprinkle with additional cinnamon (if desired). Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the center is set and the top is golden brown.
  7. Serve and enjoy! Let the casserole cool slightly before serving. Top with your favorite breakfast toppings like maple syrup, fresh fruit, whipped cream, or powdered sugar.
This casserole is easily customizable! Add chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or a swirl of fruit preserves to the batter for extra flavor variations.

So ditch the greasy pan and give this French toast casserole a try! It's a guaranteed crowd-pleaser that's perfect for weekend brunches, special occasions, or simply a delightful change from your usual breakfast routine.

Wow! I like French Toast Casserole recipes because they are convenient, flavorful, comforting, and versatile. Let me try this recipe this weekend!:)

This French Toast Casserole looks sooo delicious! 😍✨ Do you have any favorite toppings or tips to make it extra special? Can’t wait to try this!

This sounds amazing! I've been wanting to try a French toast casserole for a while now. It seems so much easier than making individual slices of French toast. I love the idea of being able to prep it ahead of time too. I'm definitely going to try this out this weekend. 😉👌🤩

Back