Frieren Inspired: Hambāgu Steak (Japanese Hamburg Steak Recipe) 🥩

Mui

Tasty Apprentice
I recently finished watching an anime entitled Frieren: Beyond Journey's End, and it was wonderful. This anime teaches different morals throughout its episodes, including the different types of food served. In one of the episodes, the characters serve a Hamburg Steak Recipe as a birthday present to a warrior, which symbolizes their hard work. I tried making this recipe myself and it turned out to be a juicy patty loaded with flavors and glazed with a sweet and savory sauce. For my version, I deglazed the pan with red wine to make an umami-rich sauce that perfectly complements the big beefy round of seasoned hamburger. I guarantee that this Hamburg Steak recipe will be the best you will ever taste! 🤞🏻

Frieren Inspired Hambāgu Steak (Japanese Hamburg Steak Recipe).jpeg

Ingredients:
  • 1 large onion, finely diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 ½ pounds ground beef
  • 5 ounces soft tofu
  • 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
For the sauce:
  • ½ cup dry red wine
  • ⅓ cup ketchup
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (or 1 ½ tablespoons each Worcestershire sauce and ketchup mixed)
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce

Instructions:
  1. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine diced onions and minced garlic. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes until onions are soft and starting to brown. Let cool.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine cooled onions and garlic with ground beef, tofu, panko breadcrumbs, egg, oyster sauce, nutmeg, and black pepper. Mix well using your hands until evenly combined.
  3. Form the mixture into eight oval patties, about 1 inch thick, making sure to remove any air pockets by gently tossing the meat between your hands. Place patties on parchment paper if not cooking immediately.
  4. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties in batches (4 at a time) and fry until dark brown crust forms on one side. Carefully flip and brown the other side. Transfer browned patties to a plate.
  5. Once all patties are browned, drain excess oil from the skillet using a paper towel, leaving caramelized beef juices in the pan. Return all patties to the skillet.
  6. Add dry red wine to the skillet and cover with a lid. Steam patties for 2-3 minutes.
  7. Remove the lid and transfer patties back to the plate. In the same skillet, add ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and oyster sauce. Stir briskly until sauce thickens.
  8. Return patties to the skillet, one at a time, rolling each one in the sauce to coat evenly.
  9. Serve hot, topped with extra sauce if desired. Enjoy your delicious Japanese-style Hamburg Steak!
This recipe yields flavorful and tender Hamburg steaks with a savory sauce, perfect for a satisfying meal. <(´⌯ ̫ ⌯`)>

Last edited:
I recently finished watching an anime entitled Frieren: Beyond Journey's End, and it was wonderful. This anime teaches different morals throughout its episodes, including the different types of food served. In one of the episodes, the characters serve a Hamburg Steak Recipe as a birthday present to a warrior, which symbolizes their hard work. I tried making this recipe myself and it turned out to be a juicy patty loaded with flavors and glazed with a sweet and savory sauce. For my version, I deglazed the pan with red wine to make an umami-rich sauce that perfectly complements the big beefy round of seasoned hamburger. I guarantee that this Hamburg Steak recipe will be the best you will ever taste! 🤞🏻

View attachment 1164

Ingredients:
  • 1 large onion, finely diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 ½ pounds ground beef
  • 5 ounces soft tofu
  • 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
For the sauce:
  • ½ cup dry red wine
  • ⅓ cup ketchup
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (or 1 ½ tablespoons each Worcestershire sauce and ketchup mixed)
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce

Instructions:
  1. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine diced onions and minced garlic. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes until onions are soft and starting to brown. Let cool.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine cooled onions and garlic with ground beef, tofu, panko breadcrumbs, egg, oyster sauce, nutmeg, and black pepper. Mix well using your hands until evenly combined.
  3. Form the mixture into eight oval patties, about 1 inch thick, making sure to remove any air pockets by gently tossing the meat between your hands. Place patties on parchment paper if not cooking immediately.
  4. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties in batches (4 at a time) and fry until dark brown crust forms on one side. Carefully flip and brown the other side. Transfer browned patties to a plate.
  5. Once all patties are browned, drain excess oil from the skillet using a paper towel, leaving caramelized beef juices in the pan. Return all patties to the skillet.
  6. Add dry red wine to the skillet and cover with a lid. Steam patties for 2-3 minutes.
  7. Remove the lid and transfer patties back to the plate. In the same skillet, add ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and oyster sauce. Stir briskly until sauce thickens.
  8. Return patties to the skillet, one at a time, rolling each one in the sauce to coat evenly.
  9. Serve hot, topped with extra sauce if desired. Enjoy your delicious Japanese-style Hamburg Steak!
This recipe yields flavorful and tender Hamburg steaks with a savory sauce, perfect for a satisfying meal. 🧝‍♀️
Wow! Definitely would try this Frieren Inspired Hambāgu Steak🥰😁

I will try this recipe, I think this food is delicious. Thank you for sharing this recipe!
You're welcome! I'm glad you're excited to try it out. Enjoy your culinary Journey, and I hope it turns out delicious! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Happy cooking! 😁

Wow! Definitely would try this Frieren Inspired Hambāgu Steak🥰😁
Glad you're excited to give it a try! Frieren-inspired Hambāgu Steak is such a treat - juicy, flavorful, and oh-so-satisfying. Get ready for a culinary journey that's sure to make your taste buds dance! Let me know how it turns out for you. 😊

Wow! I love Frieren so might try this soon ദ്ദി(˵ •̀ ᴗ - ˵ ) ✧
That's awesome to hear! I'm glad you're a fan of Frieren too and are excited to try out the recipe. Let me know how it turns out when you give it a go! ;)

Thanks for sharing your Frieren-inspired Hambāgu Steak recipe! It sounds absolutely delicious with that juicy patty and flavorful sauce. Can't wait to give it a try myself! 😋🥩

Thanks for sharing your Frieren-inspired Hambāgu Steak recipe! It sounds absolutely delicious with that juicy patty and flavorful sauce. Can't wait to give it a try myself! 😋🥩
Glad you're excited about the Frieren-inspired Hambāgu Steak recipe! It's definitely a tasty one with that juicy patty and flavorful sauce. Enjoy giving it a try—I'm sure it'll be a hit! 😋🥩

Glad you're excited about the Frieren-inspired Hambāgu Steak recipe! It's definitely a tasty one with that juicy patty and flavorful sauce. Enjoy giving it a try—I'm sure it'll be a hit! 😋🥩
Okay... Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to try the Frieren-inspired Hambāgu Steak recipe - sounds delicious! 🍔

Your Frieren-inspired Hamburg Steak recipe sounds delicious! I love how you've incorporated soft tofu for added moisture and texture in the patties, and that red wine deglaze must add such depth to the savory sauce. It's definitely a recipe worth trying for a flavorful Japanese-style meal! 😯

Your Frieren-inspired Hamburg Steak recipe sounds delicious! I love how you've incorporated soft tofu for added moisture and texture in the patties, and that red wine deglaze must add such depth to the savory sauce. It's definitely a recipe worth trying for a flavorful Japanese-style meal! 😯
Hey, thanks for checking out the recipe! I'm glad you like the idea of using tofu in the patties and the red wine sauce. It's a pretty tasty combo, for sure. If you give it a go, let me know how it turns out for you! 🤩

That Hamburg Steak sounds epic! 🍔✨ Love the twist with red wine in the sauce – bet it added a killer depth of flavor. Can't wait to try this out myself. Thanks for sharing such a mouth-watering recipe! 😋👩‍🍳

That Hamburg Steak sounds epic! 🍔✨ Love the twist with red wine in the sauce – bet it added a killer depth of flavor. Can't wait to try this out myself. Thanks for sharing such a mouth-watering recipe! 😋👩‍🍳
Thanks for the love! 🍔🍷 Glad you're excited to try it out – hope it's as tasty for you as it was for me! Keep me posted on how it turns out. 😋

Back