Garlic Scapes Recipe

Mui

Tasty Apprentice
Have you seen guys with the change of seasons; new vegetables can be observed in the farmer’s markets and Korean grocery stores. These are fresh ingredients that some people may not common use or recognize but I enjoy it. Now, I would like to introduce you the garlic scapes, also called as maneuljjong in Korean language, which are becoming more familiar in global markets. They are picked when they are young in the early months of May and June so that they are tender. Consider this maneuljjong-bokkeum (마늘쫑볶음)—stir-fried garlic scapes—that perfectly displays their sweet, chewy, crispy, and salty flavors, and tender/crispy texture when stir-fried with mulyeot. 🧄🫕
garlic scapes recipe.jpg

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound garlic scapes
  • 3 tablespoons cooking oil
  • ¼ cup soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons rice syrup (or substitute with corn syrup, sugar, or honey)
  • 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
  • A few strips of shredded red pepper (optional)
Directions:
  1. Preparation: Remove the buds from the garlic scapes and cut them into 2-inch-long pieces. Wash and drain the buds and stems separately.
  2. Cooking: Heat the cooking oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir-fry the buds for 1 minute, then add the stems. Stir continuously for about 8 to 10 minutes until the color changes from bright green to olive green and they appear slightly withered. Taste to check if they are cooked through.
  3. Seasoning: Reduce the heat to medium and add the soy sauce. Stir for a few minutes, then add the rice syrup. Continue stirring for another 3 to 5 minutes until the scapes look shiny, wrinkly, and well-cooked.
  4. Finishing: Remove from heat and mix in the sesame oil. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds and shredded red pepper if desired. Serve as a side dish with rice. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Attachments

• garlic scapes recipe.jpg
    garlic scapes recipe.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 47
Wow, garlic scapes recipe! 😍 I've always wanted to try cooking with those. Can't wait to see what delicious dish you've whipped up with them!

I remember trying garlic scapes for the first time at a friend's dinner party, and I couldn't get enough of them. This recipe looks like a winner! 🥳

Wow, garlic scapes recipe! 😍 I've always wanted to try cooking with those. Can't wait to see what delicious dish you've whipped up with them!
Hey, glad you're excited! How about some garlic scape pesto pasta? It's easy to make and super tasty!

Back