Got a portobello mushroom that looks a bit off - how can I tell if it's gone bad?

Lego

Culinary Explorer
I recently picked up a portobello mushroom that looks a little questionable. Are there specific signs that indicate a mushroom has gone bad? It doesn't smell off, but the appearance is making me second guess. Would love to hear how you all determine freshness! 🍄👀

Trust your senses, especially your eyes and nose! 🍄 Look for any sliminess, dark spots, or mold growth on the mushroom's surface. A strong, unpleasant odor could also indicate spoilage. When in doubt, it's best to toss it out and play it safe! 🚮 Better safe than sorry when it comes to questionable mushrooms!

I recently picked up a portobello mushroom that looks a little questionable. Are there specific signs that indicate a mushroom has gone bad? It doesn't smell off, but the appearance is making me second guess. Would love to hear how you all determine freshness! 🍄👀
Examine the portobello mushroom for black patches, slime, or a slimy coating to determine whether it has spoiled. Feel for firmness and plumpness as well as sniff for a subtle earthy scent. If spoiled, throw it away to avoid food poisoning and stomach problems. To ensure both safety and quality, swap out with a fresh mushroom. 👀🍄

Back