How do you know if cast iron skillet is seasoned?

Mystique

Novice Foodie
Ahh, it's like finding a hidden treasure when you know when a cast iron pan is seasoned! A well-seasoned cast iron skillet, in my opinion, will have a shiny, smooth surface that is practically non-stick. A seasoned skillet will typically have a dark, nearly black patina that develops with usage and adequate care. This is usually evident from the skillet's look.

When I touch the skillet, I think seasoned ones feel slightly greasy or oily. If it's dry or sticky, it might need re-seasoning. :)

When I touch the skillet, I think seasoned ones feel slightly greasy or oily. If it's dry or sticky, it might need re-seasoning. :)
Oooh, I never thought about the feel as a way to check the seasoning 😮 I usually go by water beads .. If they roll around nice and bubbly, the pan is seasoned. But the greasy/sticky thing makes sense too 😊

Exactly! A well-seasoned cast iron skillet will indeed have a shiny, smooth surface that is practically non-stick, with a dark, nearly black patina that develops over time with proper usage and care. This seasoned surface is the hallmark of a perfectly seasoned cast iron pan. 🍳✨

Back