İmam Bayıldı

yourfavoritef1girlie

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone, I wanted to share a delicious Turkish dish called İmam Bayıldı! 🍆 The name translates to "the Imam fainted," supposedly because it's so delicious that the Imam (a Muslim religious leader) fainted upon tasting it! Whether that's true or not, it's definitely worth trying. Plus, it's vegetarian-friendly! Give it a go and let me know what you think! 😊🍽️
İmam Bayıldı.jpg

Ingredients:​

• 4 medium-sized eggplants
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint (or 1 tablespoon dried mint)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Pinch of sugar
  • Lemon wedges for serving

Instructions:​

1. Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
  2. Prepare the Eggplants: Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise. Score the flesh in a crisscross pattern, being careful not to cut through the skin. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for about 15 minutes. This helps to remove any bitterness.
  3. Prepare the Filling: In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic, and sauté until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, parsley, mint, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened slightly.
  4. Stuff the Eggplants: Pat the eggplants dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Place them in a baking dish. Spoon the filling mixture evenly over each eggplant half.
  5. Bake: Drizzle the stuffed eggplants with the remaining olive oil. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes, or until the eggplants are tender.
  6. Serve: Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly. Serve İmam Bayıldı warm or at room temperature, drizzled with a little extra olive oil and accompanied by lemon wedges.

Hey everyone, I wanted to share a delicious Turkish dish called İmam Bayıldı! 🍆 The name translates to "the Imam fainted," supposedly because it's so delicious that the Imam (a Muslim religious leader) fainted upon tasting it! Whether that's true or not, it's definitely worth trying. Plus, it's vegetarian-friendly! Give it a go and let me know what you think! 😊🍽️
View attachment 3076

• 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • Pinch of sugar

2. Prepare the Eggplants: Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise. Score the flesh in a crisscross pattern, being careful not to cut through the skin. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for about 15 minutes. This helps to remove any bitterness.
  3. Prepare the Filling: In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic, and sauté until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, parsley, mint, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened slightly.
  4. Stuff the Eggplants: Pat the eggplants dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Place them in a baking dish. Spoon the filling mixture evenly over each eggplant half.
  5. Bake: Drizzle the stuffed eggplants with the remaining olive oil. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes, or until the eggplants are tender.
  6. Serve: Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly. Serve İmam Bayıldı warm or at room temperature, drizzled with a little extra olive oil and accompanied by lemon wedges.
I'm always on the lookout for new vegetarian dishes to try. Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely give it a shot! 🌱😋

I love how it's packed with flavor and history. Can't wait to give it a try and see if it lives up to its name! Quick question: Do you think I could add any other veggies to the filling, or would that change the traditional taste too much? 🍆🍅

İmam Bayıldı? 🍆😋 Oh, that's a classic! Love how flavorful and satisfying it is. Excited to try making this at home. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

View attachment 3076

• 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • Pinch of sugar

Made this İmam Bayıldı for dinner last night, and it was a hit! The flavors were so rich and satisfying. 🌿🍆

Back