Irish Soda Bread Recipe

hoyeon

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone! 🍞

I thought I'd share my favorite Irish Soda Bread recipe. It's super easy to make and perfect for those days when you want some fresh bread without the fuss of yeast. This recipe has a slightly sweet flavor and a lovely crust. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Ingredients:​

• 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar (optional, but I think it adds a nice touch)
  • 4 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 3/4 cups buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk, you can mix regular milk with a tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes)
  • 1 egg (optional, for brushing on top for a shiny crust)

Instructions:​

1. Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Mix dry ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
  3. Cut in the butter: Add the cold butter to the flour mixture and use your fingers or a pastry cutter to work it in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  4. Add buttermilk: Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk. Stir until the dough comes together (it should be a bit sticky).
  5. Form the dough: Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it gently for about a minute—just enough to bring it together. Shape it into a round loaf and place it on the prepared baking sheet.
  6. Score the top: Use a sharp knife to cut a deep "X" into the top of the loaf. This helps the bread cook evenly and looks pretty too!
  7. Bake: If you're using the egg, brush it over the top of the dough. Then bake the bread for 35-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
  8. Cool: Let it cool on a wire rack before slicing. Enjoy it warm with some butter and jam or alongside your favorite soup!
Let me know if you try it out, and feel free to share your own soda bread variations! 😊
Irish Soda Bread Recipe.jpg

This Irish Soda Bread recipe sounds delicious and super easy—totally digging the idea of no yeast for fresh bread! 🍞👌 Thanks for sharing this, can’t wait to try it out! 🙌

Back