Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe

bini_colet

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone! 🇯🇲 Today, I'm excited to share a taste of Jamaica with this traditional dish: Pepper Pot Soup! 🍲🌶️ This vibrant soup is a true reflection of Jamaica's rich culinary heritage, blending indigenous ingredients with African and European influences. It's hearty, flavorful, and perfect for warming up on a chilly day. Check out the recipe below and experience the delicious flavors of Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup!
Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe.jpg

Ingredients:

• 1 lb stewing beef, cut into cubes
  • 1 lb callaloo leaves, chopped (substitute spinach if unavailable)
  • 1 lb dasheen (taro) leaves, chopped (substitute kale if unavailable)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-3 sprigs thyme
  • 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, whole (adjust to taste for heat)
  • 6 cups beef or vegetable broth
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Instructions:

1. In a large pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until softened and fragrant.
  2. Add cubed stewing beef to the pot and brown on all sides.
  3. Stir in diced tomatoes, thyme sprigs, and whole Scotch bonnet pepper. Cook for a few minutes to allow flavors to meld.
  4. Pour in beef or vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and let cook for about 1 hour, or until beef is tender.
  5. Once beef is tender, add chopped callaloo and dasheen leaves to the pot. Simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until greens are wilted and tender.
  6. Stir in coconut milk and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Simmer for a few more minutes to heat through.
  7. Serve hot, garnished with fresh thyme leaves if desired.

I always include coconut milk for creaminess. I think it balances the spices nicely, though you can use less if you prefer a lighter soup. 🥥

Thank you for sharing your Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup recipe! 🥣🇯🇲 It's always exciting to explore dishes from different cultures, and this soup sounds like a flavorful and hearty option. I'm intrigued by the combination of ingredients and spices used in Jamaican cuisine. Can't wait to try making it and experience the bold flavors firsthand. Do you have any tips for getting the perfect balance of spice in this soup? Excited to give it a try! 😊🍽️

Wow! 😍 This Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup Recipe looks like a flavor explosion! Can't wait to warm up with a bowl of this goodness on a chilly night! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Just simmered up a pot of Jamaican Pepper Pot Soup and transported straight to the islands! The flavors dance like a Caribbean breeze - warm, spicy, and utterly delicious! 🥣🌴

Back