Japanese Oyakodon Recipe

Horton

Culinary Explorer
Looking for a taste of Japan in your own kitchen? Oyakodon, meaning "parent and child rice bowl," is a classic Japanese dish featuring tender chicken and fluffy eggs cooked in a savory-sweet sauce, served over steamed rice. Let's dive into this simple and satisfying recipe!
1200×883
225.4 kB

Japanese Oyakodon.jpg

Ingredients:
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups dashi stock (or chicken broth)
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons mirin
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced (for garnish)
  • Cooked Japanese rice, for serving
Instructions:

1. Prepare the Sauce: In a bowl, mix together the dashi stock (or chicken broth), soy sauce, mirin, and sugar until well combined. Set aside.
  2. Cook the Chicken and Onion: In a large skillet or frying pan, arrange the sliced onion evenly on the bottom. Place the sliced chicken on top of the onions. Pour the sauce over the chicken and onion.
  3. Simmer: Bring the skillet to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Cover and cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the onions are soft and translucent.
  4. Add Eggs: In a separate bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Pour the beaten eggs evenly over the chicken and onion mixture in the skillet.
  5. Finish Cooking: Cover the skillet again and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the eggs are set but still slightly runny.
  6. Serve: Remove the skillet from the heat. Carefully slide the oyakodon mixture onto bowls of hot cooked Japanese rice. Garnish with sliced green onions.
  7. Enjoy: Serve hot and enjoy the comforting flavors of this traditional Japanese dish!
Oyakodon is a perfect harmony of sweet and savory flavors, making it a beloved comfort food in Japan. Try making it at home and share the warmth with your loved ones!

Thank you so much for sharing your Japanese Oyakodon recipe! 🍲🇯🇵 It's such a comforting and flavorful dish that's perfect for any meal. I love the combination of tender chicken and fluffy eggs simmered in that delicious sweet and savory sauce over a bowl of steamed rice. Your recipe looks fantastic and authentic! Do you have any tips for ensuring the chicken and eggs are cooked just right, or any creative variations to add a twist to this classic dish? Can't wait to give it a try! 🍳🍚🌟

This oyakodon recipe looks amazing! 🍚🍗 I love how it's such a comforting and flavorful dish. I’ve made it a couple of times, and it's always a hit at home. One tip I found helpful is to use a bit of sake in the sauce for an extra depth of flavor. 😉👍✨👌

Pour beaten eggs over the simmering chicken and broth, then cover and cook until they’re just set but still slightly runny. I think this gives the best texture. 🍳👌

Oyakodon is a classic comfort food! Love how simple yet flavorful it is. Can't wait to recreate this cozy dish at home! 😊

Back