Lamingtons: Australian Coconut Chocolate Sponge Cake

Klaire_Desteen

Culinary Explorer
G'day mates! I recently cooked a batch of homemade lamingtons, and let me tell you, they took me straight back to lazy Sundays in Australia. Today, I'm excited to share this recipe with all of you!

Ingredients:
Lamingtons Australian Coconut Chocolate Sponge Cake.jpg
(For the sponge cake)

• 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup milk
(For the chocolate coating)
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 2 cups desiccated coconut, for coating
Instructions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
  2. In a medium bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Stir in the vanilla extract.
  5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk, and mix until smooth and well combined.
  6. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread it out evenly.
  7. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
  8. Allow the sponge cake to cool completely in the baking dish before cutting it into squares.
For the chocolate coating:
  1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, milk, and butter over low heat until smooth and well combined.
  2. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the chocolate mixture cool slightly.
Assembly:
  1. Place the desiccated coconut in a shallow dish.
  2. Dip each sponge cake square into the chocolate mixture, ensuring it's fully coated.
  3. Roll the coated cake square in the desiccated coconut until it's evenly covered.
  4. Place the lamington on a wire rack to set, then repeat with the remaining cake squares.
  5. Once the chocolate coating has set, serve and enjoy your delicious homemade lamingtons!
I hope these lamingtons bring a touch of Aussie charm to your kitchen and transport you to sunny days down under! Don't forget to grab a cuppa and enjoy these little squares of happiness. Cheers☀️

Lamingtons are an absolute delight, aren't they? 🇦🇺 Nothing beats the perfect blend of coconut, chocolate, and sponge cake in every bite!

Back