Let's Talk German Rouladen: A Taste of Tradition!

avodahking

Novice Foodie
Hey, fellow food enthusiasts!

I just had to share this incredible recipe that's been a staple in my family for generations: German Rouladen. If you haven't tried it yet, you're seriously missing out! Picture this: thinly sliced beef, stuffed with mustard, onions, and pickles, then rolled up and simmered to tender perfection in a rich gravy. It's the epitome of comfort food and sure to become a favorite in your household too!

Ingredients:

• 4 slices of beef (about ¼ inch thick)
    german-beef-roulades-54.jpg
  • 4 tablespoons German mustard (or any spicy mustard)
  • 4 slices of bacon
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 4 large dill pickles, sliced lengthwise
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • ½ cup red wine
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Instructions:

1. Prepare the Beef: Lay out the beef slices on a flat surface and spread each one with a tablespoon of mustard. Place a slice of bacon, some chopped onion, and a pickle slice on top of each beef slice. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Roll up the Rouladen: Roll up each beef slice tightly, securing them with toothpicks if needed to keep them together.
  3. Brown the Rouladen: Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the rouladen on all sides until they're nicely seared, about 2-3 minutes per side.
  4. Make the Gravy: Once the rouladen are browned, remove them from the skillet and set them aside. In the same skillet, add the beef broth, red wine, and tomato paste. Stir well to combine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
  5. Simmer the Rouladen: Return the rouladen to the skillet, making sure they're submerged in the gravy. Cover the skillet and let the rouladen simmer over low heat for about 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the beef is fork-tender.
  6. Thicken the Gravy: Once the rouladen are cooked through, remove them from the skillet again and set them aside. In a small bowl, mix the flour with a little water to create a slurry. Gradually whisk the slurry into the gravy in the skillet, stirring constantly until the gravy thickens.
  7. Serve and Enjoy: Return the rouladen to the skillet to warm them through and coat them in the thickened gravy. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
And there you have it – a delicious batch of German Rouladen that's sure to impress! Serve it up with some mashed potatoes or buttered noodles for the ultimate comfort meal. Give it a try and let me know what you think! Who's up for making some rouladen magic in their kitchen? 🍖

This recipe will be a perfect addition to our Holiday pot lucks! I'll probably try and perfect it on my end first before officially letting my relatives Dig into this traditional staple! Thanks for sharing!😋

Dude, this recipe looks insane! German Rouladen sounds perfect for a chill night at home. Love that you broke down the steps ..makes it way less scary for kitchen newbies like myself :LOL: Totally gonna try this and impress my fam with some rouladen magic (wish me luck!) ;)

I'm eyeing this recipe lately. I am intrigued by the concept of tender beef rolls packed with delectable ingredients. Gonna try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

I'm super intrigued to try out this German Rouladen recipe! 🍽️ It's like taking a delicious trip to Germany from my kitchen. Excited to taste the rich flavors and experience a bit of culinary tradition. Let's dive into this tasty adventure! 🌟🥩

Back