Loaded Scalloped Potatoes 🦪ᥫ᭡

beni

Tasty Apprentice
I've only made scalloped potatoes a couple of times, but I love this particular recipe. Really, though, the onions make this dish--the thin slices almost melt into the sauce and potato, and it gives so much extra flavour and more softness to the texture. I'd recommend adding onion layers no matter which sauce recipe you end up using. Happy cooking!

INGREDIENTS:
Loaded Scalloped Potatoes.jpg

4 tablespoon butter (unsalted)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
4 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
2 cups heavy cream
½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
½ teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
3 pounds potatoes (sliced 1/8 inch thin, I used Yukon gold )
4 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
12 slices bacon (fried and crumbled)
2 tablespoon chives (chopped)

STEPS:
  1. Make the sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute just for 30 seconds until the garlic is aromatic. Sprinkle flour over the garlic/butter then whisk until well combined. At this point it should look like a thick paste. Stir in the chicken broth and whisk until combined. Add in the heavy cream and whisk until smooth. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and remove from heat.
  2. Layer the scalloped potatoes: Start with a spreading a couple ladlefuls of the sauce over the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Spread a third of the sliced potatoes over the sauce in an even layer (see video). Top with more of the sauce to cover the potatoes. Top with a third of the cheddar cheese and then a third of the bacon. You should have enough ingredients for 3 layers of potatoes. Continue layering with potatoes, sauce, cheese, bacon and repeat. Finally sprinkle with half the chives.
  3. Bake: Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes in a 400 F degree oven. Uncover and finish baking for another 45 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Potatoes are such a wonderful side because they really do go with everything, and I mean everything 🥔👀

My mouth is watering just looking at these Loaded Scalloped Potatoes! 😋 I think I'll make them for our next potluck, though I might add some diced ham for extra protein.

the picture doesnt look particularly appetizing but reading the recipe and instructions Im confident it tastes better than it looks. Perhaps a flash on these scalloped potatoes and it would have made a world of difference?

the picture doesnt look particularly appetizing but reading the recipe and instructions Im confident it tastes better than it looks. Perhaps a flash on these scalloped potatoes and it would have made a world of difference?
I was in a hurry to take a picture of the food because my friends were already hungry from the smell. 🤣🤣 And yes, I was even surprised by how delicious it turned out to be.

The combination of creamy potatoes, crispy bacon, gooey cheese, and flavorful seasonings is making my stomach rumble with anticipation. It's such a classic comfort food dish that's perfect for any occasion, whether it's a cozy family dinner or a holiday feast. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe with us! I can't wait to try it out and enjoy all the savory goodness. 😊👌

In my experience, these potatoes are a true crowd-pleaser, with layers of creamy goodness, crispy bacon, gooey cheese, and perhaps some savory caramelized onions or chopped chives sprinkled on top.

Loaded Scalloped Potatoes: Proof that adding cheese and bacon to anything instantly makes it a meal of dreams!

Back