Mantu

Twilight

Novice Foodie
Mantu, a typical Afghan dumpling filled with spiced ground beef and topped with sour yogurt sauce and spiced tomato sauce, is one meal that I love. Now let's get to the recipe:

Mantu.jpg
Ingredients: For the dumplings:

• 1 lb ground beef or lamb
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 package of round dumpling wrappers
For the yogurt sauce:

• 2 cups plain yogurt
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Salt to taste
For the tomato sauce:

• 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
Procedure:

1. In a bowl, mix the ground meat, chopped onion, minced garlic, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground turmeric, salt, and pepper until well combined.
  2. Place a small amount of the meat mixture in the center of each dumpling wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half and pinch the edges together to seal, forming a crescent shape.
  3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Carefully add the dumplings to the boiling water and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until they float to the surface and are cooked through. Remove the dumplings with a slotted spoon and set aside.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix the plain yogurt, minced garlic, and salt to make the yogurt sauce. Set aside.
  5. In a saucepan, heat some oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook until softened.
  6. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground turmeric, salt, and pepper to the saucepan. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes break down and the sauce thickens slightly.
  7. To serve, place the cooked dumplings on a platter. Top with the yogurt sauce and drizzle with the spiced tomato sauce. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
Enjoy this comforting and flavorful Afghan Mantu with your loved ones for a memorable dinner experience!

I've always loved Mantu whenever I've had it at Afghan restaurants. Having the recipe now means I can try making it myself. Thanks for posting this 😁

I'm thrilled to give this Mantu recipe a try myself! The thought of creating those flavorful dumplings filled with spice ground beef and topping them off with sour yogurt sauce and spiced tomato sauce has me eagerly anticipating a delicious cooking adventure. Let's get cooking!🍳👨‍🍳

Back