Peppercorn Crusted Steak with Red Wine Pan Sauce

EvanSeeker

Culinary Explorer
Hello there! Craving a steak that's got that perfect peppery kick and a luscious red wine pan sauce? Look no further! 😋🍷 Check out this easy yet oh-so-fancy Steak au Poivre recipe. Get ready to impress your taste buds and dinner guests alike! #SteakGoals #FoodieDelight

Peppercorn Crusted Steak with Red Wine Pan Sauce

Peppercorn Crusted Steak with Re.jpg

Ingredients:

• 1 rib eye steak, about 1 inch thick, trimmed and tied with butcher’s twine
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
  • 1 tablespoon neutral oil (e.g., grapeseed)
  • 1/4 cup minced shallots
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1 cup homemade beef broth
Directions:

1. Begin by seasoning the steak with salt and cracked black pepper. Press the pepper into the steak to ensure it adheres well.
  2. In a large stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter together with the oil. Once hot, add the steak and sear it until it develops a crusty, browned exterior, and the fat starts to render. This typically takes about 2 minutes on each side.
  3. Using tongs, flip the steak and sear for an additional 2 minutes. To ensure even browning, lift the steak with the tongs and press the edges into the pan, rolling it until all sides are nicely browned and rendered.
  4. Once the steak is evenly browned, reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking it to your preferred level of doneness. For a medium-rare steak, this usually takes around 2 to 2 and a half minutes per side. Once cooked, transfer the steak to a cutting board and let it rest.
  5. Pour off any excess fat from the skillet, but keep the flavorful fond (the browned bits) in the pan.
  6. In the same skillet, melt another tablespoon of butter. Add the minced shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until they soften, which should take about 2 minutes.
  7. Deglaze the pan by pouring in the red wine. Allow it to simmer until it's reduced by about half, which usually takes around 3 minutes.
  8. Next, add the homemade beef broth to the skillet and let the mixture simmer until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
  9. To finish the sauce, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and gently shake the pan to incorporate it as it melts.
  10. Once the sauce is ready, slice the rested steak and divide the slices between two plates. Drizzle each portion of steak with the prepared pan sauce and serve immediately.
Enjoy your delicious Peppercorn Crusted Steak with Red Wine Pan Sauce!

I love a good steak! I think the red wine pan sauce must add incredible depth of flavor. Any tips for getting the crust just right, though? 😊

I love a good steak! I think the red wine pan sauce must add incredible depth of flavor. Any tips for getting the crust just right, though? 😊
Thanks so much for your comment! 😊 Absolutely, the red wine pan sauce really elevates the flavor! For that perfect crust, I'd recommend preheating your pan well before adding the steak, and make sure your steak is patted dry before searing. Oh, and don't forget a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper! Hope these tips help. Happy cooking!

Back