Pizza Casserole

DreamingPilgrim

Novice Foodie

Hi everyone! This recipe is a favorite in our family. I love preparing it for weeknight family dinners or special occasions. I'm delighted to share it with all of you. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Ingredients
pizza casserole.jpg

• 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for pan
  • 12 oz. cavatappi pasta
  • 2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
  • 1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
  • 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 c.)
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 3 (8-oz.) cans tomato sauce
  • 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, chopped into 1/2" pieces
  • 3 c. shredded mozzarella, divided
  • 1/3 c. sliced pepperoni (about 2 oz.)

Directions​

1. Step 1Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13"-by-9" glass baking dish with oil.
  2. Step 2Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and 2 tablespoons salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 7 to 9 minutes (pasta should still be slightly undercooked in the center). Drain pasta; set aside.
  3. Step 3Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add sausage and cook, breaking into bite-size pieces, until browned and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer sausage to a medium bowl, leaving as much fat in skillet as possible.
  4. Step 4In same skillet over medium heat, combine mushrooms and 1 tablespoon oil; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, tossing occasionally, until browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to bowl with sausage.
  5. Step 5In same skillet over medium heat, cook onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Remove 2 cups sauce and reserve. Fold bell peppers and cooked sausage, mushrooms, and reserved pasta into remaining sauce. Cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
  6. Step 6Pour half of pasta mixture into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella. Top with remaining pasta mixture. Pour reserved 2 cups sauce over.
  7. Step 7Cover pan with foil and bake until hot and bubbling around the edges, about 20 minutes. Remove foil, top with remaining 2 cups mozzarella, then pepperoni, and continue to bake until cheese is melted and pepperoni is browned, 15 to 20 minutes more.

Enjoy!!

Sounds delicious! I've made something similar before, and it's always a hit. One suggestion: try adding some freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top for an extra savory kick. Enjoy! 🍕🧀

Back