Prawn Katsu Baos šŸ¤ā£

dttodot

Novice Foodie
Have you ever had days when all you want to do is change everything up in the kitchen? Well, that's when my love affair with Prawn Katsu Baos began. It was a lazy Sunday and I thought, "Why not mix crispy prawn katsu with fluffy bao buns?" And voila! A delicious culinary masterpiece was born. Now, it's your turn to try it out! šŸ˜‹šŸ¤

Ingredients
katsu.jpg

For the Tartar sauce:
  • 6 tbsp kewpie​
  • 2 tbsp plain yoghurt​
  • 1-2 dill pickles, finely chopped​
  • 2 tbsp capers, finely chopped​
  • 1 small shallot, finely chopped​
  • Half bunch dill, finely chopped​
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice​
  • Salt & pepper to taste​
Everything else:
  • 10 prawns, deveined + butterflied​
  • 10 baos (frozen ones from the supermarket - easier for entertaining)​
  • All-purpose flour​
  • Egg, whisked​
  • Panko breadcrumbs​
  • Neutral oil​
  • Sliced cheese (grab some smoked cheddar if you can), cut into quarters​
  • Dill to garnish​
Instructions
  1. Prepare Crumbing Station: Set up a crumbing station with separate bowls for flour, eggs, and panko. For rough quantities, use about 3 tbsp of flour, 1 egg, and 1/4 cup panko. Adjust for larger batches.​
  2. Coat and Fry Prawns: Coat prawns in flour, then dip in whisked egg, and finally coat with panko. Shallow fry in a generous amount of neutral oil until golden. Season with salt.​
  3. Steam the Baos: Follow package instructions or use the recipe suggestion, typically steaming for 12-15 minutes from frozen.​
  4. Make Tartar Sauce: Mix kewpie, plain yoghurt, chopped dill pickles, capers, shallot, dill, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Ideally let it mingle for 1 hour+ for maximum flavor.​
  5. Assemble: Place a slice of cheese on the steamed bao. Add the golden prawn katsu on top. Smother generously with the chunky tartar sauce. Garnish with dill.​
  6. Devour ASAP

Wow, these Prawn Katsu Baos look amazing! šŸ˜ Can't resist that crispy prawn goodness wrapped in soft bao buns. Definitely adding this to my must-try list! Thanks for sharing! šŸ¤ā£ļøšŸ‘Œ

Thank you for the recipe! I've been looking for a new way to enjoy prawns, and this Prawn Katsu Baos recipe looks perfect. The tartar sauce sounds like the perfect accompaniment. Can't wait to impress my guests with this dish! šŸ¤šŸ˜‹

Back