Sauerkraut Recipe

Nutellah_

Culinary Explorer
Hey there! Ready to embark on a tangy adventure? Let's dive into the world of homemade sauerkraut! 🥬✨ With just a few simple ingredients and a bit of patience, you'll be enjoying your own deliciously crunchy and probiotic-rich sauerkraut in no time. Let's get fermenting!
1712895177382.png

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium-sized head of cabbage (green or purple)
    212×321
    122.4 kB
  • 1 tablespoon of salt (non-iodized)
  • Optional: Caraway seeds, juniper berries, or other spices for flavor variation
Instructions:
  1. Start by removing the outer leaves of the cabbage and discarding them. Rinse the cabbage under cold water to remove any dirt or debris.
  2. Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Then, thinly slice the cabbage into shreds using a knife or a mandoline slicer.
  3. Place the shredded cabbage in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle the salt over the top.
  4. Massage the salt into the cabbage using your hands, squeezing and kneading the cabbage for about 5-10 minutes. This will help break down the cell walls and release the cabbage's natural juices.
  5. If using any additional spices, mix them in with the cabbage.
  6. Pack the cabbage tightly into a clean glass jar or fermenting crock, pressing it down firmly as you go to remove any air bubbles.
  7. Once all the cabbage is packed into the jar, pour any remaining liquid from the mixing bowl over the top to cover the cabbage completely.
  8. Place a weight on top of the cabbage to keep it submerged under the liquid. This could be a clean stone, a smaller jar filled with water, or a purpose-made fermentation weight.
  9. Cover the jar with a clean cloth or paper towel and secure it with a rubber band or string. This will allow gases to escape while keeping out dust and debris.
  10. Place the jar in a cool, dark place to ferment for about 1-4 weeks, depending on your taste preferences. Check the sauerkraut regularly and taste-test it until it reaches the desired level of tanginess.
  11. Once fermented to your liking, remove the weight and cover the jar with a lid. Store the sauerkraut in the refrigerator, where it will continue to ferment slowly and develop flavor over time.
Enjoy your homemade sauerkraut as a tasty condiment, side dish, or ingredient in various recipes!

I've never heard nor eat this kind of dish! but will definitely try this recipe because I am an explorer for food. Thanks for sharing. 😋👌🥰

YAY! Love how it's packed with probiotics and super customizable with different spices :love: Definitely going to try making a batch soon and I might add some kimchi spice to mine for a little extra kick! 🌶️ Thanks for sharing this recipe 🤗

Sauerkraut, a tangy and crunchy delight, is a wonderful addition to any meal! 🥬✨ With its vibrant flavor and probiotic benefits, homemade sauerkraut is a true culinary gem that's both delicious and nutritious!

Back