Soul-Warming Japanese Curry Rice Recipe

cheffyyow

Culinary Explorer
Hey there, curry cravers! 🍛 On my last trip to Japan, my friend Sayaka whipped up the most insanely delicious Japanese curry for me. I'm talkin' rich, thick, and punch-you-in-the-face flavorful. It was love at first bite! :love: Luckily for you, I convinced her to share the recipe for this soul-warming curry over steaming hot rice. Get ready for an authentic taste of Japan in your own kitchen! ;)
japanese_curry_rice.jpg

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp grated ginger
  • 2 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 lb ground beef or chicken
  • 4 cups beef or chicken broth
  • 1 Yukon gold potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Cooked Japanese rice, for serving
  • Fukujinzuke (Japanese radish garnish)

Instructions:
  1. Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the diced onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
  2. Toss in the garlic and grated ginger. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Then add the curry powder and garam masala, stirring constantly for 30 seconds to toast the spices.
  3. Add the ground beef or chicken to the pot, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it browns.
  4. Pour in the broth, diced potato, carrot slices, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Give it a good stir and bring the curry to a simmer.
  5. Once simmering, reduce heat to low, cover and let the curry gently simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and carrots are fork-tender.
  6. Remove the lid and let the curry continue simmering until it reaches your desired thickness, about 5 more minutes.
  7. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
  8. Serve the rich, thick Japanese curry piping hot over steamed Japanese rice. Don't forget to top with crunchy fukujinzuke pickles!
This isn't any ordinary curry - it's pure Japanese comfort food magic! ✨ Just add a frosty glass of Sapporo to make it extra authentic. Oishi! 😋

Wow! Soul-Warming Japanese Curry Rice Recipe! 🍛😍 Sounds like the perfect comfort food. Can't wait to try it out! Thanks for sharing! 👍

Back