🐟 The Classic Ceviche 🍋

culinary_connoisseur

Culinary Explorer
When I was vacationing in Mexico, I learned this amazing ceviche recipe from a local chef. Bringing a taste of Mexico to your kitchen! 🇲🇽🏖️🍹

780×1170
127.3 kB

Ceviche.jpg

CEVICHE INGREDIENTS

A bite of this ceviche will make you feel like you’re on the coast of Mexico! Here’s what’s in it.

• White Fish: For this dish, I'm utilizing fresh halibut, though you can consult the preceding section for alternative firm white fish choices. Additionally, shrimp is an option, but be sure to consider the advice provided in my citrus shrimp ceviche recipe.
  • Marinade: A lime and lemon juice mixture will “cook” and tenderize the fish.
  • Vegetables: You’ll need tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, avocados, and jalapeño or serrano pepper. It’s all my favorite. Mexican toppings in one bowl.
  • Herbs:! You can’t do ceviche without cilantro in my opinion (but I’m also a cilantro lover).
Below is the full recipe with precise measurements:

CEVICHE STEPS:
  1. Marinate the fish: Combine the fish, lime juice, and lemon juice in a glass (non-reactive) bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes (up to 2 hours). The fish will turn opaque as it "cooks" in the lime juice. Longer marination leads to firmer texture.
  2. Mix ingredients: Take out the fish from the fridge and add tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, red onion, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, and salt. Gently stir to blend.
  3. Serve: Serve the ceviche in glasses, on a plate, or with tortilla chips.
MARINATION TIME FOR CEVICHE: The marination duration affects the fish's texture. Aim for:
  • 30 minutes: Mostly opaque, slightly "cooked" yet tender.
  • 1 hour: Opaque like "medium-cooked" meat.
  • 2+ hours: Fully opaque, resembling "well-done" meat. Beyond 4 hours, the fish toughens and loses flavor.

OMG!! this Ceviche looks SO fresh and delicious 😋 Mexico in a bowl - yum! Bet it hits the spot on a hot day ..Thanks for sharing the recipe - gotta try making this at home for that vacay feeling! 🙌

I also love using halibut, but I'll definitely try it with shrimp next time. The mix of tomatoes, cucumber, and avocado sounds super refreshing. Thanks for sharing the marination tips too—good to know about the texture changes. 🍋🍤🌮

Back