Vietnamese Peanut Sauce Lettuce Wraps

SilentSeeker

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone! I stumbled upon this recipe while on a quest for those unforgettable Vietnamese dishes that stole my heart during my travels. I gave it a try, and trust me, it's a culinary adventure worth embarking on. Sharing this gem with all of you! Dive in and let the flavors take you on a journey!

THE LETTUCE CUPS:​

• ▢300g / 10 oz peeled whole cooked prawns/shrimp , medium (600g/1.2lb unpeeled whole prawns – this is what I use) – Note 1
  • ▢75g / 2.5 oz dried vermicelli noodles (or glass noodles or rice)
  • ▢12 large or 16 -20 small lettuce leaves (I used baby cos/romaine), eg iceberg, butter lettuce

VEG AND HERBS:​

• ▢1 batch quick pickled carrots and daikon , below *recommended* OR 2 carrots finely julienned (use plain)
  • ▢2 cups beansprouts
    lettuce wrap.jpg
  • ▢2 cucumbers , julienned
  • ▢2 cups mint leaves
  • ▢2 cups coriander/cilantro sprigs (sub with chives + extra mint)
  • ▢3 birds eye red chilli , finely sliced (optional)
  • ▢1/4 cup roasted peanuts , finely chopped (recommended)

VIETNAMESE PEANUT SAUCE:​

• ▢2 tbsp natural peanut butter , smooth (ie not sweetened) – Note 2
  • ▢2 tbsp hoisin
  • ▢1 – 2 tbsp lime juice , sub rice vinegar
  • ▢1/3 cup LOW FAT coconut milk (Note 3)
  • ▢1 large garlic clove , finely grated
  • ▢1 tsp+ sambal oelak (or other chilli sauce/paste of choice), can omit (adj to taste)
  • ▢1 tsp dark soy (Note 4)
  • ▢1 tsp white sugar
  • ▢1/2 tsp cooking salt / kosher salt

QUICK PICKLED VEGETABLES​

• ▢2 medium carrots , peeled cut into 2 mm / 1/10″ batons
  • ▢1/2 large white radish (daikon) , peeled, cut the same as carrots
  • ▢1 1/2 cups boiling water
  • ▢1/2 cup white sugar
  • ▢4 tsp cooking salt / kosher salt
  • ▢3/4 cup rice wine vinegar (sub apple cider vinegar)

Instructions​

• Pickle first – Put the boiling water, salt and sugar in a bowl. Mix to to dissolve, then add vinegar. Submerge vegetables and leave for 2 hours. Drain then use per recipe (or store in fridge submerged in liquid).
  • Peanut sauce – Mix the peanut sauce ingredients and set aside for the flavours to meld while you prepare the platter. Start with 1 tbsp lime juice and add more if you want tarter.
  • Prawns (shrimp) – Cut the prawns in half horizontally and remove the vein.
  • Noodles – Soak the noodles in boiling water per packet directions. Rinse under cold water (to prevent stickiness) then drain very well.
  • Lay it all out – Pile everything onto a giant platter or put things in little bowls, then let everybody help themselves!
  • Assemble – Here's my order: lettuce leaf, noodles first, then veg* (carrots, bean sprouts etc), prawns, stuff herbs down the side, drizzle with sauce, sprinkle with peanuts and chilli. Bundle and bite!

Recipe Notes:​

1. Or cook your own– just toss 300g/10oz raw peeled prawns with a little salt and pepper. Preheat oil in non stick pan on high and cook each side for 1 1/2 min (medium) to 2 minutes (large ones), then remove.

2. Natural peanut butter is just peanuts, no sugar no salt. Flavour is more intense and it is runnier than peanut butter spread which makes it idea for sauces. Mix well before use as it separates if not used regularly. Can sub with peanut butter spread but your sauce will be thicker with slightly less peanut flavour.

3. Low fat coconut milk is thinner which makes the sauce not too thick. If you only have full fat, that’s fine, use 1/4 cup then top up with water.

4. Dark soy is more intense flavoured than regular and light soy, and darkens sauce colour. But you can substitute with light or all-purpose soy (more on difference soy sauces here).

Your peanut sauce leftovers will keep for 4 days in the fridge or freezer for 3 months. Go on! Try it!

Oh, Vietnamese Peanut Sauce Lettuce Wraps sound intriguing! I haven't had the chance to try them yet, but they sound like they'd be packed with flavor. The combination of the peanut sauce with fresh lettuce wraps sounds refreshing and delicious. I'll have to give this recipe a try soon! Thanks for sharing! :love:

These Vietnamese peanut sauce lettuce wraps look absolutely mouthwatering! I'm definitely going to give them a shot—the easy-to-follow steps make it seem like a breeze. Can't wait to dive in and experience those delicious flavors! :eek::eek:

Back