What do I need to know before using a cast iron skillet?

MidnightWanderer88

Novice Foodie
Hey all, just picked up my first cast iron skillet and I'm itching to break it in 😅😂. Heard there’s a bit of a learning curve with these pans 🍳. Seasoning’s crucial, right? How often do we do that? And cleaning — no soap, or is that a myth? Plus, any tips on avoiding that dreaded rust would be golden. Would love to hear your dos and don'ts, especially any tricks to make this thing last. Thanks for sharing your wisdom! 🤩💪

I've been using my cast iron skillet for years, and it's become an indispensable tool in my kitchen! 🍳😊 Here are some tips I've gathered: always preheat it slowly to avoid thermal shock, season it regularly to maintain its non-stick surface, and never put it in the dishwasher. With a little TLC, it'll reward you with perfect sears and delicious meals every time!

First off, make sure to properly season your skillet to create a non-stick surface and prevent rusting. 🌿🔥 Also, be mindful of heat control; cast iron retains heat incredibly well, so it's easy to overheat and burn your food. 🚫🔥

Back