Aloo Gobi Recipe

Asen1940

Novice Foodie
During my recent virtual exploration of Indian cuisine, I stumbled upon a recipe that piqued my interest: Aloo Gobi. This vegetarian dish translates to "potatoes and cauliflower," but it offers so much more than its simple name suggests. The aloo gobi boasts a symphony of textures and flavors, with tender potatoes and crisp cauliflower florets bathed in a richly spiced aromatic sauce. It's a perfect introduction to Indian vegetarian cooking!

Aloo Gobi Recipe.jpeg

Ingredients:

• 1 medium-sized potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes (about 1 ½ cups)
  • 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets (about 2 cups)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • ½ teaspoon minced ginger
  • ½ teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 green chili, slit or chopped (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to your spice preference)
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • Salt to taste
  • Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Procedure:
  1. Heat the oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat.
  2. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds until fragrant.
  3. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
  4. Stir in the ginger, garlic, and green chili (if using) and cook for an additional minute, until fragrant.
  5. Add the ground coriander, turmeric powder, and red chili powder. Cook for another minute, stirring constantly, to release the aromas of the spices.
  6. Pour in the diced tomatoes and tomato paste (if using). Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
  7. Add the chopped potatoes and cauliflower florets to the pan. Season with salt to taste.
  8. Cover the pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
  9. Once the vegetables are cooked through, adjust the seasoning with salt and red chili powder (if desired) to your preference.
  10. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro (optional) and serve hot.
Aloo Gobi pairs perfectly with rice, roti, or naan.

Embark on a delightful culinary adventure with Aloo Gobi! The vibrant blend of spices, the contrasting textures of the potatoes and cauliflower, and the overall simplicity of this dish make it a winner. So, why not give it a try? I guarantee you'll be impressed!

Wow, this Aloo Gobi looks amazing! 🤗 Never tried it before, but veggie dishes with tons of flavor are my jam! Love the combo of potatoes and cauliflower, and all those warm Indian spices sound incredible 🤩 This is deffo going on my "must try" list!

During my recent virtual exploration of Indian cuisine, I stumbled upon a recipe that piqued my interest: Aloo Gobi. This vegetarian dish translates to "potatoes and cauliflower," but it offers so much more than its simple name suggests. The aloo gobi boasts a symphony of textures and flavors, with tender potatoes and crisp cauliflower florets bathed in a richly spiced aromatic sauce. It's a perfect introduction to Indian vegetarian cooking!

View attachment 4637

Ingredients:

• 1 medium-sized potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes (about 1 ½ cups)
  • 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets (about 2 cups)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • ½ teaspoon minced ginger
  • ½ teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 green chili, slit or chopped (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to your spice preference)
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • Salt to taste
  • Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Procedure:
  1. Heat the oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat.
  2. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds until fragrant.
  3. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
  4. Stir in the ginger, garlic, and green chili (if using) and cook for an additional minute, until fragrant.
  5. Add the ground coriander, turmeric powder, and red chili powder. Cook for another minute, stirring constantly, to release the aromas of the spices.
  6. Pour in the diced tomatoes and tomato paste (if using). Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
  7. Add the chopped potatoes and cauliflower florets to the pan. Season with salt to taste.
  8. Cover the pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
  9. Once the vegetables are cooked through, adjust the seasoning with salt and red chili powder (if desired) to your preference.
  10. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro (optional) and serve hot.
Aloo Gobi pairs perfectly with rice, roti, or naan.

Embark on a delightful culinary adventure with Aloo Gobi! The vibrant blend of spices, the contrasting textures of the potatoes and cauliflower, and the overall simplicity of this dish make it a winner. So, why not give it a try? I guarantee you'll be impressed!
This Aloo Gobi recipe turned out amazing! The flavors are just perfect, definitely making this again soon.

Back