Bougatsa Recipe

Ui Ui

Culinary Explorer
Bougatsa Recipe.jpg
Craving a deliciously sweet and creamy Greek pastry? Bougatsa is a scrumptious treat that combines a rich custard filling with crispy, buttery phyllo pastry. Perfect for breakfast, dessert, or a special occasion, this recipe will guide you through making a delightful Bougatsa that’s sure to impress your family and friends! ✨

Ingredients:
  • 4 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup semolina flour
  • 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
  • 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
  • 18 (14x9-inch) frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
  • 2 teaspoons confectioner's sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Prep Ingredients: Gather all your ingredients and preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
  2. Mix Eggs & Sugar: Beat the eggs in a stand mixer with a whisk attachment on medium speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Add the sugar and continue beating on medium speed until thick and foamy, 4 to 5 minutes.
  3. Heat Milk: In a large saucepan, heat the milk over medium-low heat until it begins to simmer.
  4. Combine Milk & Egg Mixture: With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, beating until well combined, about 30 seconds.
  5. Cook Custard: Return the milk mixture to the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until it begins to simmer and thickens slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually whisk in the semolina flour and cook until thickened to a porridge consistency, 1 to 2 minutes.
  6. Finish Custard: Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the cold butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until emulsified. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Let the custard cool while you prepare the phyllo.
  7. Prepare Baking Pan: Brush the bottom and sides of a nonstick 13x9-inch baking pan with about 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Place phyllo sheets on a clean surface, covering with a damp towel to keep moist. Layer 8 phyllo sheets in the pan, brushing each lightly with melted butter.
  8. Add Custard: Spread the custard evenly over the phyllo.
  9. Top with Phyllo: Add 2 more phyllo sheets on top of the custard, brushing each with melted butter. Stretch the sheets to cover the sides of the pan.
  10. Create Pleats: For the remaining 8 phyllo sheets, brush each with melted butter, fold accordion-style to create 2-inch-wide pleats, and place them crosswise in the pan with pleats facing up. Repeat until the pan is fully covered.
  11. Bake: Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crispy. Let cool for 30 minutes.
  12. Finish: Dust with confectioner's sugar and cinnamon. Slice into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.
Enjoy your homemade Bougatsa! 🌟

Wow, Bougatsa sounds like a total winner! Your recipe for this sweet, creamy Greek pastry with that crispy phyllo layer is making me drool—thanks for sharing such a delicious treat! 🙌✨

Your Bougatsa looks absolutely delicious! 🥐✨ The flaky layers and creamy filling sound irresistible. Can’t wait to give this a try—thanks for sharing such a tasty recipe! 😍

This sounds amazing! I've always wanted to try making Bougatsa, but it always seemed so intimidating. Your recipe makes it sound much more doable. I love the idea of using frozen phyllo dough, that's definitely a game-changer for me. I'm definitely going to try this out soon. 😋😉🤩👌

Wow, Bougatsa sounds like such a treat! 😍 Thanks for sharing this recipe—I'm totally trying it out! Your step-by-step directions are super clear. 🙌

Back