Byrek me Spinaq

Bellenjay

Novice Foodie
One of my favorite morning memories is spending time with my family eating the traditional cuisine "Byrek me Spinaq" when I was a child in Albania. This pie, known for its flaky dough and tasty filling, is a classic of Albanian cuisine and tastes savory. This is how to make it:

Byrek me Spinaq.jpg
Ingredients:

• 500g spinach, washed and chopped
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 200g feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 6-8 sheets of phyllo pastry
  • Butter or olive oil for brushing
Procedure:

1. Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
  2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until softened and translucent.
  3. Add the chopped spinach to the skillet and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Once the spinach is cooked down, remove the skillet from the heat and let it cool slightly.
  5. In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked spinach mixture with the crumbled feta cheese and beaten egg. Mix well to combine.
  6. Take one sheet of phyllo pastry and brush it lightly with melted butter or olive oil. Place another sheet on top and repeat the process until you have a stack of 3-4 sheets.
  7. Spoon the spinach and feta mixture onto one end of the phyllo stack, leaving some space around the edges.
  8. Carefully roll up the phyllo pastry to enclose the filling and form a log shape.
  9. Transfer the rolled pastry to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, seam side down.
  10. Brush the top of the pastry with melted butter or olive oil.
  11. Repeat the process with the remaining phyllo sheets and filling until you have used up all the ingredients.
  12. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crisp.
  13. Once baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Byrek me Spinaq is best served warm, just out of the oven. It's a wonderful and satisfying breakfast choice that will quickly become a family favorite. Bon appétit! 🇦🇱🥧

I've never tried making byrek before, but this recipe looks straightforward and delicious 🤤. The addition of feta cheese adds a nice tanginess to balance out the earthy flavor of the spinach. Excited to give it a go!

What a delightful morning memory! "Byrek me Spinaq" sounds like a delicious tradition from Albania. The combination of flaky dough and savory spinach filling must create such a comforting and tasty dish. It's amazing how food can bring back fond memories of family time. Thanks for sharing this special recipe with us! 🥧🍃

What a delightful morning memory! "Byrek me Spinaq" sounds like a delicious tradition from Albania. The combination of flaky dough and savory spinach filling must create such a comforting and tasty dish. It's amazing how food can bring back fond memories of family time. Thanks for sharing this special recipe with us! 🥧🍃
Hello there! I agree, Byrek me Spinaq truly is a delicious tradition, and the flavors of the flaky dough and savory spinach filling are just unbeatable. It's heartwarming to hear how food can evoke such fond memories of family time 🥰

Back