Chickpeas in Lemon-Tahini Broth 🍋

beni

Tasty Apprentice
In my kitchen, I got creative with some basic pantry staples 🍲. I whipped up a simple and delicious dish - Chickpeas in Lemon-Tahini Broth! It's warm, comforting and so easy to make. Just what I needed without a trip to the store! So satisfying and yummy! 😋

Ingredients:
chickpeas.jpg
  • ¼ cup tahini​
  • 1 lemon, juiced​
  • A few splashes of your favorite hot sauce optional​
  • 1-2 tablespoons water, if needed​
  • 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil​
  • 2 tablespoons plant-based or dairy butter, optional​
  • 1 leek, trimmed, rinsed, and sliced thinly into rounds​
  • 8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced​
  • 1 red Fresno chili pepper, trimmed and minced; or use crushed red pepper to taste​
  • 1 teaspoon dry thyme​
  • ½ teaspoon paprika​
  • ¼ teaspoon white pepper​
  • 4 cups water or vegetable stock, plus ¼ cup divided​
  • 2 15- ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed​
  • 3 scallions, trimmed and minced; white and green parts kept separate​
  • 4 ounces baby spinach, finely chopped; or use bok choy or kale​
  • Salt to taste​
For Garnish:
  • 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced​
  • Aleppo pepper optional​
  • Extra virgin olive oil optional​
Prepare lemon-tahini mixture:
  1. In a bowl, combine the tahini, lemon juice, and a few splashes of hot sauce. Stir to combine. If the mixture thickens, add a few splashes of water and whisk until smooth.​
Fry the leek:
  1. Heat oil in a wide pot over medium-high. Melt the butter into the oil (if using). Once frothy, add the sliced leek and cook for 7-8 minutes until it softens and turns golden around the edges.​
  2. Add the garlic and minced chili or chili flakes. Cook for 45 seconds until fragrant. Add the thyme, paprika, and white pepper. Add a pinch of salt and toss to coat. Cook for 45 seconds.​
Cook the chickpeas:
  1. Add 4 cups of water or stock to the pot. Add the chickpeas and white parts of the scallions. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Add a big pinch of salt and simmer for 15–20 minutes until the chickpeas are very tender.​
Cook the greens:
  1. Add the greens and the remaining ¼ cup water and cook until the greens are bright green and tender, about 5–10 minutes, depending on the variety used.​
Finish the broth:
  1. Scoop out a spoonful of the hot broth, add it to the bowl of tahini, and stir until smooth.​
  2. Pour the tempered tahini mixture into the broth and stir until completely incorporated. Taste and season again to your preferences.​
To serve:
  1. Ladle the chickpeas into bowls. Garnish with chopped avocado and minced scallion greens. Sprinkle with Aleppo pepper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Enjoy!​
The cozy dish is perfect for a light lunch or dinner, or pair it with crusty bread for a hearty meal. It's sure to warm you up! 🍲🍞

Wow, this Chickpeas in Lemon-Tahini Broth recipe looks absolutely mouthwatering! 🤤 I love how the tanginess of the lemon pairs with the creaminess of the tahini - such a delicious combination! Can't wait to give this a try for a cozy dinner this week ✨👍😉😋

I think squeezing a bit of fresh lemon juice over the finished dish would brighten up the flavors even more! 🍋 Though, if you like heat, adding a pinch of red pepper flakes could give it a spicy kick. 🌶️

I love how simple yet flavorful this recipe sounds! Chickpeas in Lemon-Tahini Broth is perfect for a quick and satisfying meal. 😋 Excited to give it a try!

Back