Classic Greek Moussaka

Bubbles

Culinary Explorer
classic Greek moussaka.jpeg
Hey foodies! 🍽️ I'm happy to share with you my take on the classic Greek moussaka recipe that's been a favorite in my kitchen for years. Inspired by the flavors of Greece, this dish is a hearty and comforting meal that's perfect for sharing with family and friends.
Ingredients:
  • 2 large eggplants, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
  • Salt, for seasoning
  • Olive oil, for brushing
  • 1 pound ground beef or lamb
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14 ounces) crushed tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
For the Bechamel Sauce:
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
Instructions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
  2. Place the sliced eggplants on a baking sheet, sprinkle them with salt, and let them sit for 15-20 minutes to release excess moisture. Pat them dry with paper towels and brush both sides with olive oil. Arrange them in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
  3. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef or lamb over medium heat until browned. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and cook until softened.
  4. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, dried oregano, ground cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Let the mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
  5. To make the bechamel sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden.
  6. Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Cook until the sauce thickens, then season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg.
  7. Remove the saucepan from the heat and gradually whisk in the beaten eggs until smooth and creamy.
  8. To assemble the moussaka, layer half of the roasted eggplant slices in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spread the meat mixture evenly over the eggplant, then layer the remaining eggplant slices on top. Pour the bechamel sauce over the eggplant and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese over the top.
  9. Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
  10. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
It's a labor of love that's well worth the effort, and the layers of flavor will transport you straight to the sunny shores of Greece✨

Yum! This Moussaka looks amazing! :love: The layers of eggplant, meat sauce, and creamy bechamel sound heavenly. Perfect for a special occasion or family dinner 🤗

Oh, I adore Classic Greek Moussaka! 🇬🇷🍆🥩 Such a comforting dish with layers of flavor! Yours looks mouthwatering! Can't wait to recreate this cozy goodness in my kitchen. Thanks for sharing the recipe! 🙌

Bake the moussaka until the top is golden brown and bubbly. I usually let it rest for a bit before serving so it sets nicely. It smells amazing and tastes even better! 😋🍽️

Back