Classic Shepherd's Pie

Klaire_Desteen

Culinary Explorer
Classic shepherd's pie.jpg
Hey everyone! So, I recently decided to try my hand at making a classic shepherd's pie. It's the ultimate comfort food, perfect for cozy nights in or when you need a hearty meal that's both delicious and satisfying.

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground beef or lamb
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 cup beef or vegetable broth
  • 2 cups mashed potatoes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional: grated cheese for topping
Instructions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375ยฐF (190ยฐC).
  2. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef or lamb over medium heat until browned. Drain any excess fat.
  3. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet, and cook until softened.
  4. Stir in the diced carrots and frozen peas, and cook for a few minutes until slightly tender.
  5. Add the tomato paste and beef or vegetable broth to the skillet, and stir until well combined. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until the mixture thickens slightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Transfer the meat and vegetable mixture to a baking dish and spread it out evenly.
  7. Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the meat mixture and spread them out evenly to cover the entire surface.
  8. If desired, sprinkle grated cheese on top of the mashed potatoes for an extra indulgent touch.
  9. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
This classic shepherd's pie recipe has quickly become a favorite in my household, and I hope it becomes a staple in yours too!๐Ÿฅงโœจ

Classic Shepherd's Pie is always a comforting favorite! Perfect for chilly nights or anytime you need a hearty meal. I love how versatile this dish isโ€”you can't go wrong with savory meat and creamy mashed potatoes. Thanks for sharing this timeless recipe!

I really like the use of tomato paste in this recipe. It adds such a rich, savory flavor to the meat and veggie mixture. It's a simple ingredient that makes a big difference! ๐Ÿ…

Back