Couscous with Lamb and Vegetables

Twilight

Novice Foodie
Ah, nothing quite like a taste of Algeria for lunch! One dish that always brings back fond memories is "Couscous with Lamb and Vegetables," a hearty and comforting meal that's perfect for a satisfying midday feast. Here's how to prepare it:

Couscous with Lamb and Vegetables.jpg
Ingredients:

• 500g lamb shoulder or leg, cut into chunks
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • 2 zucchinis, sliced
  • 1 turnip, diced
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
  • 2 cups couscous
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
Procedure:

1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic, and sauté until they are soft and translucent.
  2. Add the lamb chunks to the pot and brown them on all sides.
  3. Stir in the diced tomatoes, ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes start to break down and release their juices.
  4. Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the stew simmer for about 1 to 1.5 hours, or until the lamb is tender.
  5. Once the lamb is cooked, add the sliced carrots, zucchini, turnip, bell pepper, and cooked chickpeas to the pot. Simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
  6. Meanwhile, prepare the couscous according to the package instructions. Fluff it with a fork and set it aside.
  7. To serve, place a generous portion of couscous in a shallow bowl and ladle the lamb and vegetable stew over the top. Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro before serving.
For lunch, enjoy the rich tastes and soothing warmth of this Algerian-style Couscous with Lamb and Vegetables, which will take you to Algeria's bustling streets! 🇩🇿🍽️

Ah, the lamb whisperer strikes again with a symphony of flavors! I can practically smell the aromatic spices through my screen, here's additional tip hehe, you may sprinkle some toasted almonds or pine nuts on top for that extra crunch and nutty goodness. Trust me, it's the cherry on top of an already fabulous dish! BTW, thanks for sharing this recipe :)

I mean, come on! Tender lamb, flavorful veggies, fluffy couscous - it's like a flavor party in my mouth! 🤤
Can't wait to try this Algerian delight! ( ˘͈ ᵕ ˘͈♡)

It sounds like a flavorful and satisfying dish that's perfect for a hearty meal. The combination of tender lamb, savory vegetables, and fluffy couscous sounds absolutely delicious. I can't wait to give it a try and enjoy the wonderful flavors and textures you've described. Your culinary expertise is much appreciated!

Back