Cuccidati Recipe

Idris

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone, Try this Cuccidati, also known as Sicilian Fig Cookies, are a classic Italian treat enjoyed during the holiday season and special occasions. These soft and tender cookies are filled with a sweet and flavorful fig filling, then shaped into logs, baked, and topped with a glaze and colorful sprinkles. Making cuccidati is a labor of love, but the delicious results are well worth the effort!
659×683
107.6 kB

cuccidati.jpg

Ingredients:

For the Cookie Dough:

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Fig Filling:

• 2 cups dried figs, stems removed and chopped
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds or walnuts
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup orange marmalade
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Zest of 1 orange
For the Glaze:

• 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2-3 tablespoons milk or water
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Colored sprinkles, for decorating
Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
  3. Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir until a dough forms. If the dough is too dry, add a little more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it comes together.
  5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it gently until smooth. Divide the dough into smaller portions for easier handling.
  6. In a food processor, combine the chopped figs, raisins, chopped nuts, honey, orange marmalade, orange juice, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, and orange zest. Pulse the mixture until it forms a thick, sticky paste.
  7. Roll out one portion of the dough into a rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick. Spread a layer of the fig filling evenly over the dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
  8. Starting from one long edge, carefully roll up the dough and filling into a log. Pinch the seam to seal and place the log seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet.
  9. Repeat the process with the remaining dough and fig filling.
  10. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice each log into cookies, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Place the cookies on the baking sheets, leaving space between them.
  11. Bake the cuccidati in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden brown.
  12. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
  13. Once the cookies are cool, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk or water, and vanilla extract until smooth. If the glaze is too thick, add more milk or water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until you reach your desired consistency.
  14. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies and sprinkle them with colored sprinkles while the glaze is still wet.
  15. Allow the glaze to set before serving the cuccidati.
  16. Enjoy these delicious and festive Sicilian Fig Cookies with a cup of coffee or tea, and share them with family and friends during the holiday season!
Note: Cuccidati can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week, or frozen for longer storage.

I've never heard of Cuccidati before, but I'm excited to give it a try! 🍪🎉 Can't wait to bake these cookies and enjoy a taste of Italian tradition. Thanks for sharing this recipe discovery!

Hey there, @Idris! Those Cuccidati cookies sound bomb! They're like Italian fig cookies that you enjoy during special times, all soft and filled with sweet fig goodness. Making them might take some work, but the taste is totally worth it! 😊

Cuccidati recipe? Oh, I'm intrigued! 🤔🍪 There's something so special about homemade Italian cookies, and I bet these are no exception. Can't wait to roll up my sleeves and try my hand at making these delicious treats. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Back