Duck à l’Orange

Prel

Culinary Explorer
Hello to all of you! :love:
I couldn't be happier to share with you today my experience preparing Duck à l'Orange,
a delicious dish that goes well with any occassion because it mixes duck with zesty orange flavors. 🦆🍊

Come work with me ;)

Duck à l’Orange.jpg

Duck​

1 Tbsp. Diamond Crystal or 1¾ tsp. Morton kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 5–6-lb. whole Pekin duck, neck and giblets removed
1 orange
1 small onion, cut through root end into 8 wedges, divided
4 sprigs marjoram
4 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs parsley
½ cup dry white wine
½ cup duck or chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
½ medium carrot, halved lengthwise
½ celery stalk

Sauce​

⅓ cup sugar
⅓ cup fresh orange juice
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
Kosher salt
Duck or chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth (if needed)
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
½ orange, zest removed in wide strips with a vegetable peeler, strips thinly sliced

Preparation​

Duck​

Step 1​

Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 475°. Whisk together 1 Tbsp. Diamond Crystal or 1¾ tsp. Morton kosher salt, 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, 1 tsp. ground coriander, and ½ tsp. ground cumin in a small bowl. Pat one 5–6-lb. whole Pekin duck, neck and giblets removed, dry and sprinkle inside and out with spice mixture. Cut 1 orange in half through the equator; cut one of halves into quarters. Stuff duck cavity with orange quarters along with 4 onion wedges (from 1 small onion, cut through root end into 8 wedges), 4 sprigs marjoram, 4 sprigs thyme, and 2 sprigs parsley.

Step 2​

Squeeze juice from remaining orange half into another small bowl. Add ½ cup dry white wine and ½ cup duck or chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth and stir to combine. Set aside.

Step 3​

Spread out ½ medium carrot, halved lengthwise, ½ celery stalk, and remaining 4 onion wedges in a roasting pan. Place duck on top of vegetables and roast 30 minutes.

Step 4​

Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Remove roasting pan from oven and pour in reserved orange juice mixture. Return pan to oven and roast duck until an instant-read thermometer inserted into a thigh near the bone registers 170°, 1–1¼ hours. Remove from oven.

Step 5​

Heat broiler. Broil until duck skin is golden brown, about 3 minutes.

Step 6​

Using tongs, carefully tilt duck so juices run from cavity into pan. Transfer duck to a cutting board and let rest 15 minutes; set roasting pan with vegetables and juices aside.

Sauce​

Step 7​

While the duck is roasting, cook ⅓ cup sugar in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, undisturbed, until starting to melt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a heatproof rubber spatula, until sugar is fully melted and caramel turns deep golden in color. Reduce heat to low and carefully add ⅓ cup fresh orange juice and 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar to caramel (mixture will bubble vigorously and might spatter); season with a pinch of kosher salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until caramel is dissolved and mixture is combined. Remove orange syrup from heat.

Step 8​

Remove vegetables from reserved roasting pan; discard. Pour pan juices through a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring glass; skim duck fat and reserve for another project. You should have 1 cup pan juices; if you don’t, add duck or chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth to get you there.

Step 9​

Stir together 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour and 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature, in a small bowl to form a paste. Pour pan juices into a small heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer. Whisking constantly, add flour mixture followed by orange syrup and orange zest (from ½ orange, zest removed in wide strips with a vegetable peeler, strips thinly sliced). Simmer, whisking, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.

Step 10​

Serve duck with orange sauce alongside.

Give it a try and impress your loved ones with this classic dish! :love::love::love:

The fresh herbs and aromatic veggies add depth, while the caramelized orange syrup brings sweetness. Perfect for impressing loved ones! 🧡 This Duck à l'Orange recipe is a winner! 🦆🍊

I haven't tried any duck dish or recipe but this one, I think I had to try one! I am thinking if the duck has the same taste as the chicken or is there any special taste from the duck? Would love to try this 👌😉

Duck à l’Orange? Now, that's a classic French dish that never goes out of style! 🦆🍊 Can practically taste the savory richness and tangy citrus flavors already! Count me in for a gourmet culinary adventure. Thanks for sharing this timeless recipe! 🍽️😋

Hello to all of you! :love:
I couldn't be happier to share with you today my experience preparing Duck à l'Orange,
a delicious dish that goes well with any occassion because it mixes duck with zesty orange flavors. 🦆🍊

Come work with me ;)

View attachment 1172

Duck​

1 Tbsp. Diamond Crystal or 1¾ tsp. Morton kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground coriander
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 5–6-lb. whole Pekin duck, neck and giblets removed
1 orange
1 small onion, cut through root end into 8 wedges, divided
4 sprigs marjoram
4 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs parsley
½ cup dry white wine
½ cup duck or chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
½ medium carrot, halved lengthwise
½ celery stalk

Sauce​

⅓ cup sugar
⅓ cup fresh orange juice
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
Kosher salt
Duck or chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth (if needed)
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
½ orange, zest removed in wide strips with a vegetable peeler, strips thinly sliced

Preparation​

Duck​

Step 1​

Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 475°. Whisk together 1 Tbsp. Diamond Crystal or 1¾ tsp. Morton kosher salt, 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, 1 tsp. ground coriander, and ½ tsp. ground cumin in a small bowl. Pat one 5–6-lb. whole Pekin duck, neck and giblets removed, dry and sprinkle inside and out with spice mixture. Cut 1 orange in half through the equator; cut one of halves into quarters. Stuff duck cavity with orange quarters along with 4 onion wedges (from 1 small onion, cut through root end into 8 wedges), 4 sprigs marjoram, 4 sprigs thyme, and 2 sprigs parsley.

Step 2​

Squeeze juice from remaining orange half into another small bowl. Add ½ cup dry white wine and ½ cup duck or chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth and stir to combine. Set aside.

Step 3​

Spread out ½ medium carrot, halved lengthwise, ½ celery stalk, and remaining 4 onion wedges in a roasting pan. Place duck on top of vegetables and roast 30 minutes.

Step 4​

Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Remove roasting pan from oven and pour in reserved orange juice mixture. Return pan to oven and roast duck until an instant-read thermometer inserted into a thigh near the bone registers 170°, 1–1¼ hours. Remove from oven.

Step 5​

Heat broiler. Broil until duck skin is golden brown, about 3 minutes.

Step 6​

Using tongs, carefully tilt duck so juices run from cavity into pan. Transfer duck to a cutting board and let rest 15 minutes; set roasting pan with vegetables and juices aside.

Sauce​

Step 7​

While the duck is roasting, cook ⅓ cup sugar in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, undisturbed, until starting to melt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a heatproof rubber spatula, until sugar is fully melted and caramel turns deep golden in color. Reduce heat to low and carefully add ⅓ cup fresh orange juice and 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar to caramel (mixture will bubble vigorously and might spatter); season with a pinch of kosher salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until caramel is dissolved and mixture is combined. Remove orange syrup from heat.

Step 8​

Remove vegetables from reserved roasting pan; discard. Pour pan juices through a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring glass; skim duck fat and reserve for another project. You should have 1 cup pan juices; if you don’t, add duck or chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth to get you there.

Step 9​

Stir together 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour and 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature, in a small bowl to form a paste. Pour pan juices into a small heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer. Whisking constantly, add flour mixture followed by orange syrup and orange zest (from ½ orange, zest removed in wide strips with a vegetable peeler, strips thinly sliced). Simmer, whisking, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.

Step 10​

Serve duck with orange sauce alongside.

Give it a try and impress your loved ones with this classic dish! :love::love::love:
Thanks for sharing! Duck à l’Orange is a classic French dish that's both elegant and flavorful. Can't wait to try cooking tender duck in a tangy orange sauce. It's sure to impress at my next dinner party!

Back