Duck Breast with Sweet Potato Puree, Veggies and Port Sauce 🦆.𖥔 ݁ ˖

てって

Novice Foodie
I wanted to share this delicious recipe after throwing an amazing dinner party where I literally turned into a gourmet chef and wow everyone with my Duck Breast with Sweet Potato Puree, Veggies, and Port Sauce! 🦆🍠🍷 This combination of tender duck, luscious sweet potato, and opulent port sauce will quickly make you feel like a gourmet pro. And here's the thing: making it at home is actually not that difficult! Therefore, you may still wow your dinner guests with this elegant dish even if you're not Gordon Ramsay. Prepare to be proclaimed the culinary king or queen! 👑✨

duck.jpg
Ingredients:
  • 1 duck breast​
  • 350 gram sweet potato​
  • 100 gram spinach​
  • 100 gram mushrooms (I used Shimei)​
  • 10 leaves of sage​
  • 1 shallot​
  • 4 cloves of garlic​
  • 100-gram cold butter​
  • a splash of cream (around 1 tbsp)​
  • 200 ml port wine (ruby or tawny)​
  • 200 ml chicken (or poultry) stock​
  • olive oil for pan-frying​
Directions:
  1. First of all, try to remove your duck breast from the fridge 1 hour before you start cooking to make sure it will be at room temperature when you pan-sear the duck. Then peel your sweet potatoes and cut them into even-sized cubes. Add to a pan, together with 75 ml of water, 50 grams of butter, and a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a simmer and turn low. Let this simmer for about 25 minutes.​
  2. In the meantime, it is time to prepare the sauce. Finely chop the shallot and saute for 2 minutes on medium heat. Add your stock and port wine and reduce by half or until the reduction thickens. Set this aside, clean your mushrooms and finely chop your garlic. Heat your frying pan and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Fry your sage leaves in the oil for about 20-30 seconds or until crispy and put them on a piece of kitchen paper.​
  3. Now we are getting there! Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Score the fat side of the duck breast (but not too deep) and add it to the already hot pan with the fat side down. Make sure your pan is on medium heat and let the fat render for about 5 minutes or until evenly golden and crispy. Then turn over the duck breast, add a small knob of butter to the pan, and baste your duck for two more minutes. Now add this to an oven dish and continue cooking for about 8 more minutes or until a core temperature of 53 degrees Celsius.​
4. In the meantime, we fry our mushrooms with half of the garlic and a bit of olive oil until nicely golden, add them to an ovenproof dish, and put them in the oven next to the duck. Now add some olive oil the rest of the garlic and your spinach to the pan. Saute until it is fragrant and welted down and set aside. Now you mash your sweet potatoes with a tbsp of cream and salt and pepper to taste. Since we used only a little bit of water, we didn't have to drain them before mashing them to create the ultimate texture and flavor. reheat your port reduction and cut off the heat again, add 50 grams of cold butter and combine with a whisk.
5. After your duck hits 53 degrees Celsius you let it rest on your counter for about 10 minutes and then we are ready to plate the dish. Start with a layer of your potato puree and add the spinach and mushrooms on top. Slice your duck into 6 pieces and add 3 pieces to both plates (like in the picture). Finish with the sauce and crispy sage leaves and your dish is finished. Enjoy! 🎄

Give this recipe a whirl and let me know the deets! 😋

This Duck Breast with Sweet Potato Puree, Veggies, and Port Sauce looks like a gourmet feast! 🦆😋 Love the elegant combination of flavors. Can't wait to impress my dinner guests with this recipe! Thanks for sharing! 🍽️👩‍🍳

Duck Breast with Sweet Potato Puree, Veggies, and Port Sauce? Sounds like a gourmet masterpiece! 🤩🍽️ Love the combination of flavors and textures you've got going on here. Can't wait to give this recipe a try and impress my taste buds! Thanks for sharing your culinary expertise! 🙌😋 #FoodieFinds

Back