Duck breasts with port sauce and celeriac purée

Prel

Culinary Explorer
Last summer, I hosted a memorable dinner at my place. It became a night to cherish, reminding me of the joy of good food shared among loved ones.

I cooked a special dish that time. Because they are special to me :love:

Duck breasts with port sauce and celeriac purée.jpg

Ingredients​

For the duck

• 2 tbsp fennel seeds
  • 1 tsp black peppercorns
  • 6 free-range duck breasts
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • Steamed cavolo nero (see Know-how) or savoy cabbage to serve
For the celeriac puree

• 1kg celeriac (about 2 medium)
  • 50ml whole milk
  • 50ml double cream
  • 40g butter

For the sauce

• 180ml ruby port
  • 500ml fresh chicken stock
  • 3 tbsp redcurrant jelly
  • Finely grated zest ½ orange

Method​

1. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat, then toast the fennel seeds and peppercorns for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Pound in a pestle and mortar to a coarse powder.
  2. Score the skin of the duck breasts using a sharp knife: make diagonal cuts through the skin and fat but not into the flesh – the closer together you score, the more crisp the duck skin will get. Do this straight from the fridge (duck fat softens as it warms).
  3. Mix the salt with the fennel and pepper, then rub into the scored skin. Chill for 30 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, peel and chop the celeriac into small, even chunks and put in a large saucepan. Pour over water to cover, bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
  5. Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and, when hot, add the duck, skin-side down. Fry for 5 minutes or until the skin has browned and much of the fat has been rendered (melted). Transfer to a baking tray, skin-side up, until ready to use (see Make Ahead).
  6. For the sauce, pour away most of the fat from the frying pan (keep any crispy bits). Add the port and stir well, scraping the bottom. Bubble for 3-4 minutes to reduce, then stir in the stock and redcurrant jelly. Simmer and reduce for 25-30 minutes until it’s the consistency of single cream.
  7. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Roast the duck breasts for 6 minutes for rare, 9 minutes for medium or 12 for well done, then rest for 15 minutes.
  8. While the duck is in the oven, whizz the celeriac in a food processor or blender until smooth (or mash by hand). Spoon back into a pan with the milk, cream, butter and salt and pepper, then stir over a gentle heat to warm through.
  9. Pour any juices from the rested duck into the sauce and stir in the orange zest. Bring the sauce back to a gentle simmer.
  10. Slice the duck breasts crossways, then serve with the celeriac purée and sauce, with steamed cavolo nero (see Know-how) or savoy cabbage.

Looks delicious! The flavorful spices and the duck meat I think its a chefs kiss 😋😋 Would love to try this for our incoming family dinner! 😋🙂

This recipe is a perfect blend of elegance and comfort, sure to create lasting memories around the dinner table. Thank you for sharing both the recipe and the beautiful sentiment behind it! ✨

I can only imagine the incredible flavors of those duck breasts with port sauce and celeriac purée. Did you find that the combination of ingredients elevated each other's flavors? I'd love to hear more about your cooking process and how it all came together! 🍽️✨

Back