French Onion Chicken Casserole

ReeseTaki

Culinary Explorer
Hey foodies! 🍽️ Craving comfort food with a twist? Try this French Onion Chicken Casserole! 😋 Tender chicken, caramelized onions, gooey cheese – it's like a cozy hug for your taste buds! 🧀🍗 Plus, it's a snap to make! Perfect for busy weeknights or lazy Sundays. Give it a go and thank me later!

French Onion Chicken Casserole (1).jpg

Ingredients:

• Cooking spray
  • 3 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 2 large yellow onions (about 12 ounces each), thinly sliced (approximately 5 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
  • 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup of chicken broth
  • 1 cup of thawed frozen sweet peas
  • 3 cups of chopped cooked chicken (approximately 12 ounces)
  • 1 cup of sour cream
  • 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 cup of crispy fried onions (such as French's)
  • 4 ounces of pre-shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)
  • 2 ounces of Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Coat a 11-x 7-inch or 2 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the sliced onions and cook them covered, stirring occasionally, until soft and beginning to brown, which should take about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the cover, stir in the salt and pepper, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown and very soft, approximately 8 to 10 minutes more.
  3. Uncover the skillet and add the butter and minced garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is fragrant and the butter has melted, about 1 minute. Sprinkle the flour over the onion mixture and cook, stirring often, until well incorporated, for about 1 minute.
  4. Stir in the chicken broth, scraping the bottom of the skillet to release any browned bits. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the thawed peas. Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
  5. In a large bowl, combine the chopped cooked chicken, sour cream, mayonnaise, and chopped parsley to make the chicken mixture.
  6. Add the onion mixture to the chicken mixture in the large bowl and stir until well combined. Transfer the combined mixture to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the top with the crispy fried onions, mozzarella cheese, and Gruyère cheese.
  7. Bake the casserole in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted and the sides are golden brown, which should take about 25 to 30 minutes.
  8. Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy your French Onion Chicken Casserole!

PS: Guys, trust me, this French Onion Chicken Casserole is a game-changer! 😍 It's my go-to when I need some serious comfort food vibes with a gourmet twist. 🌟 The combo of savory chicken, caramelized onions, and cheesy goodness is simply irresistible! 🧀🍗 Give it a try and watch it disappear faster than you can say 'seconds, please!' 😉

I believe the French Onion Chicken Casserole takes the flavors of French onion soup to a whole new level by incorporating juicy chicken and melty cheese. It's a cozy and satisfying dish that's perfect for chilly nights! 🍲❄️

Hey foodies! 🍽️ Craving comfort food with a twist? Try this French Onion Chicken Casserole! 😋 Tender chicken, caramelized onions, gooey cheese – it's like a cozy hug for your taste buds! 🧀🍗 Plus, it's a snap to make! Perfect for busy weeknights or lazy Sundays. Give it a go and thank me later!

View attachment 3752

Ingredients:

• Cooking spray
  • 3 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 2 large yellow onions (about 12 ounces each), thinly sliced (approximately 5 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
  • 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup of chicken broth
  • 1 cup of thawed frozen sweet peas
  • 3 cups of chopped cooked chicken (approximately 12 ounces)
  • 1 cup of sour cream
  • 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 cup of crispy fried onions (such as French's)
  • 4 ounces of pre-shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)
  • 2 ounces of Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Coat a 11-x 7-inch or 2 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the sliced onions and cook them covered, stirring occasionally, until soft and beginning to brown, which should take about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the cover, stir in the salt and pepper, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown and very soft, approximately 8 to 10 minutes more.
  3. Uncover the skillet and add the butter and minced garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is fragrant and the butter has melted, about 1 minute. Sprinkle the flour over the onion mixture and cook, stirring often, until well incorporated, for about 1 minute.
  4. Stir in the chicken broth, scraping the bottom of the skillet to release any browned bits. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the thawed peas. Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
  5. In a large bowl, combine the chopped cooked chicken, sour cream, mayonnaise, and chopped parsley to make the chicken mixture.
  6. Add the onion mixture to the chicken mixture in the large bowl and stir until well combined. Transfer the combined mixture to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the top with the crispy fried onions, mozzarella cheese, and Gruyère cheese.
  7. Bake the casserole in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted and the sides are golden brown, which should take about 25 to 30 minutes.
  8. Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy your French Onion Chicken Casserole!

PS: Guys, trust me, this French Onion Chicken Casserole is a game-changer! 😍 It's my go-to when I need some serious comfort food vibes with a gourmet twist. 🌟 The combo of savory chicken, caramelized onions, and cheesy goodness is simply irresistible! 🧀🍗 Give it a try and watch it disappear faster than you can say 'seconds, please!' 😉
This French onion chicken casserole looks so comforting and delicious! Has anyone tried adding some mushrooms or a splash of white wine to the mix? Can't wait to make this for dinner! 🍗🧅🧀

I believe the French Onion Chicken Casserole takes the flavors of French onion soup to a whole new level by incorporating juicy chicken and melty cheese. It's a cozy and satisfying dish that's perfect for chilly nights! 🍲❄️
Thank you! 😊 You've captured the essence of the dish perfectly! It's definitely a favorite on chilly nights—so warm and comforting. Glad you enjoyed it! 🍲

Back