I am so happy for my homemade Korean cold noodles ‧₊˚ ⋅ 𓐐𓎩 ‧₊˚ ⋅

beni

Tasty Apprentice
I love all kinds of cold Korean noodles. I adore them for their cold, chewy texture and the spicy sauce. Many Korean families and restaurants have their own version of this dish, and I have mine too. Over the years, I've refined my recipe, continuously improving it. I hope you enjoy it!

Ingredients
korean cold noodles.jpg

• 2 servings of dried naengmyeon noodles
  • 1 package of broth base that comes with the noodles
  • 1 Korean pear (or 2 bosc pears)
  • 1 English cucumber, cut into thin strips about 4 inch long
  • 1 hard boiled egg, shelled, cut into halves
  • ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds, ground
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • ½ teaspoon ginger
  • 2 tablespoons worth of onion
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • ¼ cup Korean hot pepper flakes (gochugaru)
  • 2 tablespoons hot pepper paste
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3 teaspoons sugar
  • ¼ cup rice syrup
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
  • ice cubes

Prepare the garnishes
  1. Mix 1 cup of cold water with 1 teaspoon sugar in a bowl, to make sugar water.
  2. Peel the pear and cut it into halves. Remove the cores. Reserve one half of the pear for the spicy sauce, and cut the other half into thin matchsticks for a garnish. Soak the matchsticks in the sugar water so they won’t go brown.
  3. Cut the cucumber into thin matchsticks.
Make the spicy sauce
  1. Put the half pear, garlic, ginger, onion, green onions, hot pepper flakes, hot pepper paste, soy sauce, kosher salt, sugar, rice syrup, vinegar, and toasted sesame oil in a food processor and grind until creamy.
  2. Transfer the sauce to a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the noodles
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and stir with a wooden spoon. Cover and let them cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Take a sample to taste. When you chew the noodles, there shouldn’t be any hard stuff at all. If there is, cook them 1 minute longer.
  2. Strain the noodles and rinse in cold running water. Rub the noodles with both hands and scrub them to remove any excess starch. The noodles should get chewy and cold.
  3. For your last rinse, fill a large bowl with cold water and some ice cubes. Rinse the noodles well in the icy water. Drain and divide them into 2 large shallow serving bowls.
Make bibim-naengmyeon
  1. Take the icy broth out of the freezer and pour some into each serving bowl.
  2. Put some spicy sauce over the noodles.
  3. Place the pear, and cucumber on top of the noodles.
  4. Sprinkle a heap of sesame seeds powder over top.
  5. Add a half egg to the top of each bowl.
  6. Serve right away. Mix it up before you dig in!
Give me some thoughts on how you turn your Korean cold noodles into something else ˙ᵕ˙🫰🏻.

Thanks for sharing your recipe for Korean cold noodles! It sounds like a refreshing and flavorful dish. I'm always looking for new ways to enjoy noodles, and this recipe seems like a great twist on the classic. I might try experimenting with different types of noodles or adding some extra veggies for a bit more crunch. Can't wait to give it a go!

Where do I get these dried naengmyeon noodles from? Are they from Korean specialty stores or can I make them myself from regular pack of noodles? If you can, can you post your recipe for naengmyeon noodles only?

Where do I get these dried naengmyeon noodles from? Are they from Korean specialty stores or can I make them myself from regular pack of noodles? If you can, can you post your recipe for naengmyeon noodles only?
Oh, they are typically found in Korean specialty stores or well-stocked Asian supermarkets. And yes, it's possible to make them from scratch, it requires a specific technique and ingredients that might not be readily available in a regular pack of noodles. However, if you're up for the challenge, I'd be happy to share this basic recipe for making naengmyeon noodles from scratch:

Ingredients
2 cups buckwheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold water

Instructions
  • Take a mixing bowl and add the salt, all-purpose flour, and buckwheat flour to it.
  • While stirring continuously, gradually add the cold water into the flour mixture until a dough forms.
  • Knead the dough on a lightly for 5-7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
  • Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
  • After resting, divide the dough into two equal portions.
  • Roll out each portion of dough into a thin sheet, about 1/16 inch thick.
  • Lightly flour the rolled-out dough and fold it over several times.
  • Using a sharp knife, cut the folded dough into thin strips to form noodles.
  • To prevent sticking, untangle the noodles and apply with additional flour.
  • Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles for about 3-4 minutes, or until they are tender but still slightly chewy.
  • Drain the noodles and rinse them under cold water to stop the cooking process.
  • Once cooled, the naengmyeon noodles are ready to be served in your favorite cold noodle dish.
While making naengmyeon noodles from scratch requires some effort, the result is well worth it for an authentic and delicious dining experience. Enjoy your culinary adventure! ◦°˚\(*❛‿❛)/˚°◦ 🫰🏻 And thank you for showing an interest in my recipe.

Back