Kolache Recipe

johnlloyd

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone! I'm excited to share my family's cherished recipe for homemade kolaches. These delightful pastries are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even as a sweet treat with coffee.

Ingredients:

For the Dough:

• 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup milk, warmed
  • 2 large eggs
For the Filling:

• 1 cup fruit preserves (apricot, cherry, or any flavor you prefer)
  • OR
  • 1 cup poppy seed filling
  • OR
  • 1 cup sweetened cheese filling (such as farmer's cheese or cream cheese mixed with sugar and vanilla extract)
For the Topping (Optional):

• Powdered sugar for dusting
Instructions:

1. Prepare the Dough:
    • In a large bowl, combine the warm milk and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the mixture and let it sit for 5-10 minutes until frothy.
    • Add melted butter, eggs, and salt to the yeast mixture and stir well.
    • Gradually add flour, stirring until the dough comes together.
  2. Knead and Rise:
    • Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5-7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
    • Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
  3. Form Kolaches:
    • Punch down the risen dough and divide it into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a smooth ball.
    • Place the balls on a greased baking sheet, leaving some space between each.
  4. Add Fillings:
    • Make an indentation in the center of each dough ball using your thumb or the back of a spoon.
    • Spoon about 1 tablespoon of your chosen filling (fruit preserves, poppy seed, or sweetened cheese) into the indentation.
  5. Second Rise:
    • Cover the filled kolaches with a kitchen towel and let them rise again for about 30-45 minutes, until slightly puffed.
  6. Bake:
    • Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
    • Bake the kolaches for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
  7. Finish:
    • Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
    • If desired, dust with powdered sugar before serving.
      Kolache Recipe.jpg
These homemade kolaches are best enjoyed fresh out of the oven. They're soft, sweet, and absolutely delicious—perfect for sharing with friends and family! Enjoy baking and let me know how yours turn out.

Hey everyone! I'm excited to share my family's cherished recipe for homemade kolaches. These delightful pastries are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even as a sweet treat with coffee.

Ingredients:

For the Dough:

• 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup milk, warmed
  • 2 large eggs
For the Filling:

• 1 cup fruit preserves (apricot, cherry, or any flavor you prefer)
  • OR
  • 1 cup poppy seed filling
  • OR
  • 1 cup sweetened cheese filling (such as farmer's cheese or cream cheese mixed with sugar and vanilla extract)
For the Topping (Optional):

• Powdered sugar for dusting
Instructions:

1. Prepare the Dough:
    • In a large bowl, combine the warm milk and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the mixture and let it sit for 5-10 minutes until frothy.
    • Add melted butter, eggs, and salt to the yeast mixture and stir well.
    • Gradually add flour, stirring until the dough comes together.
  2. Knead and Rise:
    • Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5-7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
    • Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
  3. Form Kolaches:
    • Punch down the risen dough and divide it into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a smooth ball.
    • Place the balls on a greased baking sheet, leaving some space between each.
  4. Add Fillings:
    • Make an indentation in the center of each dough ball using your thumb or the back of a spoon.
    • Spoon about 1 tablespoon of your chosen filling (fruit preserves, poppy seed, or sweetened cheese) into the indentation.
  5. Second Rise:
    • Cover the filled kolaches with a kitchen towel and let them rise again for about 30-45 minutes, until slightly puffed.
  6. Bake:
    • Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
    • Bake the kolaches for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
  7. Finish:
    • Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
    • If desired, dust with powdered sugar before serving.
      48×48
      248.8 kB

View attachment 4505
These homemade kolaches are best enjoyed fresh out of the oven. They're soft, sweet, and absolutely delicious—perfect for sharing with friends and family! Enjoy baking and let me know how yours turn out.
Kolaches are the ultimate comfort food for me. Can't wait to bake some fresh ones this weekend!

Back