Mama’s Banana Pudding Recipe 🍌💛

Hello, I wanted to share my mother recipe of banana pudding recipe with a warm and casual vibe. I gave this recipe a try yesterday, and let me tell you—it’s as comforting as it gets! 😋 The creamy custard paired with sweet bananas and vanilla wafers is chef’s kiss. Perfect for any family gathering or just when you want a sweet treat at home. Trust me, you’ll be coming back for seconds!

Mama's Banana Pudding.jpg
Ingredients:

• 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
  • ½ cup flour
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • 6 cups whole milk
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 3 whole eggs
  • ½ cup butter
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
  • 9 ripe bananas
  • 2 (12-ounce) boxes vanilla wafers
  • 6 egg whites
  • ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup of sugar, flour, and salt. Whisk in the milk, egg yolks, and whole eggs until smooth and well combined.
  2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the milk mixture and reduce heat to medium-low. Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens and starts bubbling, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Cover and let it cool to room temperature, about an hour.
  3. Peel and slice the bananas. Line the bottom and sides of two 9x13-inch broiler-safe dishes with vanilla wafers. Layer banana slices on top of the wafers, then pour the cooled custard over the bananas. Smooth the top with a spatula.
  4. For the meringue, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
  5. Spoon the meringue over the custard, spreading it evenly to cover.
  6. Set the oven rack about 4 inches from the broiler and turn the broiler to high. Broil the meringue for 1 to 2 minutes until lightly browned—keep a close eye on it!
  7. Remove from the oven, let the meringue cool for about 15 minutes, and serve. You can chill it, covered, for up to 4 days if you have leftovers (which, let’s be honest, probably won’t happen!).

It’s the perfect dessert to share with loved ones, or just treat yourself. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 😊

Back