Marinara Sauce Recipe

benzie

Culinary Explorer
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my go-to recipe for a simple, delicious marinara sauce! It's perfect for pasta, pizza, or even as a dipping sauce. I hope you all love it as much as I do. 😊

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
  • 2 tsp sugar (optional, but it cuts the acidity)
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, for a bit of heat)
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • Fresh basil, chopped (optional, for garnish)
Instructions:
  1. Sauté the onions and garlic: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until it's soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
  2. Add the tomatoes: Stir in the crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes (including their juices). Mix well to combine.
  3. Season the sauce: Add the sugar (if using), dried oregano, dried basil, dried thyme, and red pepper flakes. Stir well. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
  4. Simmer: Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer. Reduce the heat to low and let it cook for at least 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer it simmers, the more the flavors will develop. Sometimes, I let mine go for up to an hour if I have the time.
  5. Finish and serve: If you want a smoother sauce, you can use an immersion blender to blend it to your desired consistency. Otherwise, it's ready to serve as is! Garnish with fresh basil if you like.
    Marinara Sauce Recipe.jpg
I usually make a big batch and freeze the leftovers in portioned containers. It makes weeknight dinners super easy!

I hope you all enjoy this recipe! Let me know if you give it a try or have any tweaks you love.

My grandma used to make a similar sauce, it was always a family favorite. Can't wait to recreate those memories with this recipe. Thanks for sharing! 🍲

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my go-to recipe for a simple, delicious marinara sauce! It's perfect for pasta, pizza, or even as a dipping sauce. I hope you all love it as much as I do. 😊

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
  • 2 tsp sugar (optional, but it cuts the acidity)
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, for a bit of heat)
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • Fresh basil, chopped (optional, for garnish)
Instructions:
  1. Sauté the onions and garlic: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until it's soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
  2. Add the tomatoes: Stir in the crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes (including their juices). Mix well to combine.
  3. Season the sauce: Add the sugar (if using), dried oregano, dried basil, dried thyme, and red pepper flakes. Stir well. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
  4. Simmer: Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer. Reduce the heat to low and let it cook for at least 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer it simmers, the more the flavors will develop. Sometimes, I let mine go for up to an hour if I have the time.
  5. Finish and serve: If you want a smoother sauce, you can use an immersion blender to blend it to your desired consistency. Otherwise, it's ready to serve as is! Garnish with fresh basil if you like.View attachment 3896
I usually make a big batch and freeze the leftovers in portioned containers. It makes weeknight dinners super easy!

I hope you all enjoy this recipe! Let me know if you give it a try or have any tweaks you love.
This marinara sauce recipe looks delicious! Has anyone tried adding a splash of red wine or some fresh basil for extra flavor? Can't wait to try this with my next pasta dish! 🍝🍅🌿

Back