Moussaka

clintonbee

Novice Foodie
Moussaka_EXPS_TOHVP23_205144_MF_12_12_Moussaka_1_RMS.jpg

I recently tried making Moussaka, and let me tell you, it’s absolutely divine! This classic Greek dish is a hearty casserole layered with eggplant, spiced meat, and a creamy béchamel sauce. It's perfect for a family dinner or a special occasion. Let’s dive into the recipe!

Ingredients:​

For the eggplant layers:
  • 3 large eggplants, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
  • Olive oil for brushing
  • Salt
For the meat sauce:
  • 1 lb ground lamb (or beef)
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground allspice
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
For the béchamel sauce:
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk, warmed
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 egg yolks

Instructions:​

Preparing the eggplant:
  1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the eggplant slices on a baking sheet, brush both sides with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt.
  2. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through, until the eggplants are soft and slightly golden. Set aside.
Making the meat sauce:
  1. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
  3. Stir in the ground lamb (or beef) and cook until browned.
  4. Mix in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine (if using), cinnamon, allspice, salt, and pepper.
  5. Let the sauce simmer for about 20 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preparing the béchamel sauce:
  1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until it forms a paste.
  2. Gradually whisk in the warmed milk, making sure there are no lumps.
  3. Continue to whisk until the sauce thickens, about 5-7 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
  5. Let it cool slightly, then whisk in the egg yolks.
Assembling the Moussaka:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
  2. In a large baking dish, start with a layer of baked eggplant slices.
  3. Spread half of the meat sauce over the eggplants.
  4. Add another layer of eggplant slices, followed by the remaining meat sauce.
  5. Top with a final layer of eggplant slices.
  6. Pour the béchamel sauce over the top, spreading it evenly.
  7. Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, until the top is golden and bubbly.

Conclusion:​

And there you have it – a delicious, homemade Moussaka that’s sure to impress! 🥳 The layers of tender eggplant, savory meat sauce, and creamy béchamel come together in the most delightful way. Serve it with a side salad and some crusty bread for a complete meal. Enjoy every bite! 🍽️

Oh, this is a total classic! 🍆🇬🇷 Always wanted to try making it, even if it seems a bit ambitious 😂. Gonna give it a go and pretend I'm on a Greek island while I cook

Wow, this recipe sounds amazing! I've been wanting to try making Moussaka for a while now. Your step-by-step guide is super helpful. Can't wait to give it a shot! 😉👌✨🌸

Back