Onigiri (Japanese Rice Balls) 🍙

Kento Nanami

Culinary Explorer
Today I have a simple onigiri recipe for you and it’s both tasty and very entertaining! These rice balls are a part of the Japanese lunchbox called bento, and they are incredibly useful. You can place almost anything in these rice balls; try changing the filling with grilled salmon, pickled plums, beef, pork, turkey, or tuna with mayonnaise. 🍙🤤

Onigiri (Japanese Rice Balls).jpg

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
  • 5 ½ cups water, divided
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup bonito shavings (dry fish flakes)
  • 2 sheets nori (dry seaweed), cut into 1/2-inch strips
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Directions:

Prepare the Rice:

1. Rinse the rice in a mesh strainer until the water is clear.
  2. Combine the washed rice and 4 1/2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
  3. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the water is absorbed.
  4. Let the rice rest for 15 minutes, then cool.

Shape the Onigiri:
  1. Mix 1 cup of water with salt in a small bowl to dampen your hands while handling the rice.
  2. Divide the cooked rice into 8 portions.
  3. Take one portion, split it in half, and create a small indentation in one half.
  4. Fill the indentation with a teaspoon of bonito flakes, cover with the other half, and gently press into a triangle shape.
  5. Wrap the onigiri with a strip of nori and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
  6. Repeat with the remaining rice portions.

Enjoy your Japanese Rice Balls!

Onigiri (Japanese rice balls) 🍙 Enjoy these handheld treats made with seasoned sushi rice and filled with your favorite ingredients like pickled plum, grilled salmon, or seaweed for a convenient and delicious snack or meal on the go - a versatile and beloved staple of Japanese cuisine!

Today I have a simple onigiri recipe for you and it’s both tasty and very entertaining! These rice balls are a part of the Japanese lunchbox called bento, and they are incredibly useful. You can place almost anything in these rice balls; try changing the filling with grilled salmon, pickled plums, beef, pork, turkey, or tuna with mayonnaise. 🍙🤤

View attachment 3567
Ingredients:
  • ¼ teaspoon salt

Directions:

Prepare the Rice:

2. Combine the washed rice and 4 1/2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
  3. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the water is absorbed.

Shape the Onigiri:
  1. Mix 1 cup of water with salt in a small bowl to dampen your hands while handling the rice.
  3. Take one portion, split it in half, and create a small indentation in one half.
  4. Fill the indentation with a teaspoon of bonito flakes, cover with the other half, and gently press into a triangle shape.

I adore onigiri! This recipe looks straightforward and delicious. Has anyone experimented with different fillings like tuna mayo or pickled plum? Can't wait to make a batch for a picnic! 🍙🌸

View attachment 3567
Ingredients:
  • ¼ teaspoon salt

Directions:

Prepare the Rice:

Shape the Onigiri:

Wow, that sounds super yummy and fun to make! Onigiri with different fillings? Count me in—I'm drooling already! Definitely need to try these for my next lunch. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea! 🍙😋

Onigiri (Japanese rice balls) 🍙 Enjoy these handheld treats made with seasoned sushi rice and filled with your favorite ingredients like pickled plum, grilled salmon, or seaweed for a convenient and delicious snack or meal on the go - a versatile and beloved staple of Japanese cuisine!

Onigiri are basically the ultimate grab-and-go snack—seasoned rice balls stuffed with tasty fillings like pickled plum, grilled salmon, or seaweed. Perfect for munching anytime, anywhere. Total Japanese comfort food, right? 🍙

I adore onigiri! This recipe looks straightforward and delicious. Has anyone experimented with different fillings like tuna mayo or pickled plum? Can't wait to make a batch for a picnic! 🍙🌸
Yeah, onigiri are super versatile! Lots of folks love experimenting with fillings like tuna mayo, pickled plum, or even salmon. Perfect picnic snack for sure! Have fun making your batch! 🍙🌸

Wow, that sounds super yummy and fun to make! Onigiri with different fillings? Count me in—I'm drooling already! Definitely need to try these for my next lunch. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea! 🍙😋
Glad you liked it! Onigiri are the best—easy to make and so delicious. Fill them with whatever you like, and they’re perfect for lunch or a snack. Totally worth trying! Enjoy! 🍙😋

Glad you liked it! Onigiri are the best—easy to make and so delicious. Fill them with whatever you like, and they’re perfect for lunch or a snack. Totally worth trying! Enjoy! 🍙😋

Absolutely! Onigiri are bomb, right? So versatile and tasty. Gonna whip up a batch for sure! 🍙😋

Back