Savory Salmon Onigiri Recipe

Marysweeet413

Novice Foodie
Hey there, foodie friends! Let's join the trend. Today, I'm excited to share with you one of my all-time favorite recipes: homemade savory salmon onigiri. These delightful rice balls are not only incredibly tasty but also a joy to make. Let's dive right into it!

Ingredients:

• 1 cup sushi rice
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 lb fresh salmon fillet
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • Nori sheets (seaweed), cut into strips
  • Salt (to taste)
  • Optional: sesame seeds, pickled ginger, wasabi
Instructions:

1. Cook the Rice: Rinse the sushi rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Combine the rice and water in a rice cooker or pot and cook according to the package instructions until fluffy.
  2. Prepare the Salmon: While the rice is cooking, season the salmon with a pinch of salt. In a hot pan, sear the salmon fillet for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from heat and flake the salmon into bite-sized pieces.
  3. Make the Seasoning: In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Toss the flaked salmon in this seasoning mixture until well coated.
  4. Form the Onigiri: Wet your hands with water to prevent sticking. Take a small handful of cooked rice and flatten it in your palm. Place a spoonful of seasoned salmon in the center and gently fold the rice around it, forming a triangle or ball shape. Press firmly to compact the rice.
  5. Wrap with Nori: If using nori, wrap a strip around the onigiri, securing it with a dab of water to stick the ends together. You can also sprinkle sesame seeds on the outside for added crunch and flavor.
  6. Serve and Enjoy: Your homemade savory salmon onigiri is ready to be devoured! Serve with pickled ginger, wasabi, or your favorite dipping sauce on the side for an authentic Japanese experience.
Tips:

• Experiment with fillings like grilled chicken, pickled vegetables, or even tofu for a vegetarian option.
  • Get creative with shapes and sizes to make your onigiri visually appealing.
  • Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within a day or two for the best taste and texture.
There you have it, a simple yet satisfying recipe for homemade savory salmon onigiri. I hope you enjoy making and indulging in these delightful rice balls as much as I do! Until next time, happy cooking!

dasASASSA.jpg

Homemade onigiri always hits the spot! 🤤 Salmon sounds like a fantastic filling, and I love the tip about using different fillings for variety. Thanks for the inspiration, I'm definitely adding this to my recipe list! :cool:

Back