Potato Bread Recipe

lizasoberan

Culinary Explorer
Content:Hey fellow bakers! 🍞🥔 I recently tried making potato bread, and it turned out so soft and fluffy that I just had to share the recipe with you all. It’s perfect for sandwiches or just enjoying with a bit of butter. Here’s how you can make it:
Ingredients:
  • 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water (110°F/45°C)
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for kneading)
  • 1/4 cup milk
Directions:
  1. Boil the potato in 1 cup of water until tender. Drain, reserving the cooking water, and mash the potato. Let both cool to room temperature.
  2. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water and add a pinch of sugar. Let it sit until frothy, about 5-10 minutes.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed potato, reserved potato water, sugar, melted butter, and salt. Mix well.
  4. Add the yeast mixture to the potato mixture and stir to combine.
  5. Gradually add the flour, one cup at a time, mixing until a soft dough forms.
  6. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 8-10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. You may need to add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
  7. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1-1.5 hours, or until doubled in size.
  8. Punch down the dough and shape it into a loaf. Place it in a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan.
  9. Cover and let rise again for about 30-45 minutes, or until the dough has risen just above the top of the pan.
  10. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Brush the top of the loaf with milk for a nice golden crust.
  11. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped and is golden brown on top.
  12. Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
    delish-potato-bread-102821-07-jg.jpg
Enjoy your homemade potato bread! 🥖🍞 It's so delicious and versatile. Let me know if you try it or have any tips to make it even better!

Back