Pozole Recipe

Oniokitty

Novice Foodie
Hey everyone,

I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes with you all—Pozole! It's a traditional Mexican stew that's perfect for a hearty meal, and it's super satisfying. I learned this recipe from my abuela, and it never fails to hit the spot. Here’s how you can make it:

Ingredients:​

• 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into chunks
  • 8 cups water
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 2 cups hominy, drained and rinsed
  • 3-4 dried guajillo chilies
  • 3-4 dried ancho chilies
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 lime, cut into wedges

Toppings (optional but recommended):​

• Shredded cabbage
  • Sliced radishes
  • Diced avocado
  • Chopped onion
  • Lime wedges
  • Crushed tortilla chips

Instructions:​

1. Cook the Pork: In a large pot, combine the pork, water, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 2 hours until the pork is tender and easy to shred.
  2. Prepare the Chilies: While the pork is cooking, remove the stems and seeds from the dried chilies. Soak them in hot water for about 20 minutes until they are soft. Then, blend them with a bit of the soaking water until you get a smooth paste.
  3. Combine and Simmer: Once the pork is done, remove it from the pot and shred it using two forks. Return the shredded pork to the pot and add the hominy and chili paste. Let it simmer for another 30 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
  4. Serve: Ladle the pozole into bowls and garnish with your favorite toppings. I love adding a squeeze of lime, some shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, and a bit of avocado for extra creaminess.
  5. Enjoy: Serve hot and enjoy this comforting and flavorful dish with family and friends!
This recipe brings back so many memories of family gatherings and celebrations. It's not just food; it's a way to bring everyone together. I'd love to hear if you give it a try or if you have your own variations.
Pozole Recipe.jpg

Happy cooking!

Back