Shakshuka

Kardel

Culinary Explorer
Hello friends, Let me share this Shakshuka recipe with you. Shakshuka is a popular Middle Eastern dish that's perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner. I've tried this at a Middle Eastern restaurant, and I've been looking up its recipe online. It is a comforting meal that's sure to become a favorite!
1116×1064
409.4 kB

shakshuka.jpg

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange), diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (adjust to taste)
  • 1 can (14 ounces) crushed tomatoes
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste
  • 4-6 large eggs
  • Chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, for garnish
  • Crumbled feta cheese, for garnish (optional)
  • Crusty bread or pita, for serving
Instructions:

1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and diced bell peppers, and sauté until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
  2. Add the minced garlic, ground cumin, smoked paprika, and chili flakes to the skillet, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
  3. Pour the crushed tomatoes into the skillet, and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well to combine, and simmer the sauce for 10-15 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly.
  4. Using a spoon, create small wells or indentations in the tomato and pepper sauce. Crack one egg into each well, taking care not to break the yolks.
  5. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook the Shakshuka over medium-low heat for 5-8 minutes, or until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny (or to your desired level of doneness).
  6. Once the eggs are cooked to your liking, remove the skillet from the heat.
  7. Garnish the Shakshuka with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, and crumbled feta cheese if desired.
  8. Serve the Shakshuka hot, straight from the skillet, with crusty bread or pita for dipping and soaking up the delicious sauce.
  9. Enjoy the flavorful and comforting Shakshuka, and savor the combination of poached eggs and aromatic tomato and pepper sauce!
You can add other vegetables such as spinach, mushrooms, or zucchini to the sauce. Enjoy!

Back