Southern Butter Beans Recipe 🍲

Marich

Flavorful Connoisseur
Southern Butter Beans.jpg
Hey y'all! Get ready to whip up some good ol' Southern comfort with this hearty butter beans recipe. This dish is all about rich flavors and that classic Southern touch. We're talking tender butter beans slow-cooked with smoky bacon, a savory ham hock, and aromatic herbs. It's a warm, comforting dish perfect for any family gathering or cozy night in. Whether you're serving it up as a side or enjoying it as the main course, these butter beans are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. So, grab your Dutch oven and let's get cooking! 😋

Ingredients:

• 3 thick-cut slices bacon, chopped
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 cups lower-sodium chicken stock, plus more as needed
  • 1 pound dried large lima beans
  • 1 (14-ounce) smoked ham hock
  • 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
  • 2 thyme sprigs
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
  • Thyme leaves, for garnish
Directions:
  1. Gather all your ingredients.
  2. In a large Dutch oven or pot, cook the chopped bacon over medium heat until crispy, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
  3. Add the chopped onion, sliced garlic, and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onion becomes soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
  4. Pour in the chicken stock, and then add the dried lima beans, ham hock, bay leaves, thyme sprigs, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
  5. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 ½ to 3 hours, or until the beans are tender. Add more stock or water as needed to keep the beans covered by about ¼ inch. In the last 30 minutes of cooking, stop adding liquid so the beans aren't too brothy.
  6. Remove the ham hock, pick off the meat, discard the bone, and stir the meat back into the beans. Remove and discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
  7. Stir in the sherry vinegar for a little extra zing.
  8. Serve the butter beans in bowls, garnished with fresh thyme leaves and a sprinkle of black pepper.
Enjoy your Southern Butter Beans! 🧡

This Southern Butter Beans recipe looks absolutely delicious! I love how creamy and comforting it sounds. The flavors seem like they would be rich and satisfying. I can't wait to try this out for myself! 😋🌟

Yum, those butter beans sound like pure comfort food! 😍 Thanks for sharing the recipe—definitely gonna give it a try next time I’m craving some good ol’ Southern flavor. Appreciate the suggestion! 🙌

This Southern Butter Beans recipe sounds like total comfort food perfection! Thanks for sharing this amazing dish—can't wait to dig into those smoky, savory flavors! 🙌

These Southern Butter Beans look like ultimate comfort food! 🍲💛 The creamy texture and rich flavor sound perfect. Can’t wait to try this classic recipe—thanks for sharing! 😍

This Southern Butter Beans recipe looks absolutely delicious! I love how creamy and comforting it sounds. The flavors seem like they would be rich and satisfying. I can't wait to try this out for myself! 😋🌟
Thanks! 😄 So glad you think the Southern Butter Beans sound awesome... hope they turn out as tasty as they sound for you! 🌟

Yum, those butter beans sound like pure comfort food! 😍 Thanks for sharing the recipe—definitely gonna give it a try next time I’m craving some good ol’ Southern flavor. Appreciate the suggestion! 🙌
So glad you’re excited to try it! 🙌 I’m sure those butter beans will hit the spot for that Southern comfort vibe. Thanks for the love!

These Southern Butter Beans look like ultimate comfort food! 🍲💛 The creamy texture and rich flavor sound perfect. Can’t wait to try this classic recipe—thanks for sharing! 😍
Yum, those Southern Butter Beans sound like a dream come true! Thanks for the awesome recipe... can't wait to dig in! 💛

Back