Tunisian Shakshuka Recipe

jannababe

Culinary Explorer
DALL_E_2023-01-16_18.42.13_-_Tunisian_Shakshuka_which_is_a_dish_of_poached_eggs_in_a_flavorful...jpg

Tunisian Shakshuka is a vibrant and flavorful dish that’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, or any meal of the day. The combination of poached eggs nestled in a spicy, aromatic tomato and pepper sauce is simply irresistible! I made this recently, and it was a hit at the table. Let’s dive into the recipe! 🍳🌶️

Ingredients:​

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 bell pepper (red or green), diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes (or 4-5 fresh tomatoes, diced)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust for heat preference)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 4-6 large eggs
  • Fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
  • Crusty bread or pita (for serving)

Instructions:​

1. Sauté the Aromatics: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and bell pepper, sautéing for about 5-7 minutes until softened. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant.
  2. Add Tomatoes and Spices: Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine. Let the mixture simmer for about 10-15 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld and the sauce to thicken.
  3. Create Wells for Eggs: Once the sauce is thickened, use a spoon to create small wells in the sauce for the eggs. Carefully crack the eggs into the wells, keeping the yolks intact.
  4. Cover and Cook: Cover the skillet with a lid and let the eggs poach in the sauce for about 5-8 minutes, or until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny (or to your desired doneness).
  5. Garnish and Serve: Remove the skillet from heat and garnish with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro. Serve hot with crusty bread or pita for dipping.
This Tunisian Shakshuka is a hearty, satisfying dish that's bursting with flavor. It’s perfect for a leisurely breakfast or brunch, and you can easily adjust the spices to suit your taste. Enjoy this delightful dish! 😊

This Tunisian Shakshuka sounds delicious! 😍 I love the idea of adding those bold spices and flavors—such a perfect brunch option! Can’t wait to whip this up. Thanks for sharing!

That sounds amazing! 😍 I love a good shakshuka, especially with those spices! Can't wait to try your recipe. 🍳🌶️✨ What do you usually serve it with?

Yum! I think shakshuka is such a comforting dish. I love adding a bit of harissa for extra heat, though it’s perfect as is! 🍳🔥

Back