Xiao Long Bao

chittafrui1t

Novice Foodie
I have always been a fan of Chinese cuisine and just last month I learned how to make Xiao Long Bao— a delicious Chinese dish that's filled with meat and a savory broth. So I'm sharing here a simplified recipe to serve 5 people:

XiaoLongBao.jpg

Ingredients:​

For the filling:

• 300g ground pork (you can also use a mix of pork and shrimp)
  • 2 spring onions, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • Salt and pepper to taste
For the dough:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup hot water
For the broth gelatin:

• 1 cup chicken or pork broth
  • 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin

Instructions:​

1. Prepare the Filling:
    • In a mixing bowl, combine the ground pork, chopped spring onions, soy sauce, sesame oil, grated ginger, sugar, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly incorporated. Set aside.
  2. Make the Dough:
    • In a large bowl, place the all-purpose flour. Slowly add the hot water to the flour while stirring continuously with chopsticks or a fork.
    • Once the dough starts to come together, knead it on a lightly floured surface for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. If the dough is too dry, add a little more hot water; if it's too wet, add a bit more flour.
    • Form the dough into a ball, cover it with a damp cloth, and let it rest for 30 minutes.
  3. Prepare the Broth Gelatin:
    • In a small saucepan, heat the chicken or pork broth until hot but not boiling.
    • Sprinkle the unflavored gelatin over the hot broth and stir until completely dissolved. Set aside to cool slightly.
  4. Assemble the Xiao Long Bao:
    • Divide the rested dough into small equal-sized portions. Roll each portion into a ball and then flatten it into a thin circle, making the edges slightly thicker than the center.
    • Place a spoonful of the prepared filling in the center of each dough circle.
    • Carefully gather the edges of the dough circle, pleating them together to seal the dumpling. Pinch the top to close, leaving a small opening in the center.
    • Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
  5. Steam the Xiao Long Bao:
    • Place the assembled dumplings on parchment paper-lined steamer baskets, leaving space between each dumpling to prevent sticking.
    • Steam the dumplings over boiling water for about 10-12 minutes, or until the dough is cooked through and translucent.
  6. Serve:
    • Carefully transfer the steamed Xiao Long Bao to a serving plate.
    • Serve hot with soy sauce or black vinegar for dipping.
Enjoy your homemade Xiao Long Bao with friends and family! Be cautious when biting into the dumplings as the broth inside may be hot.

Xiao Long Bao? Oh, I've been searching high and low for that dish at restaurants around here, but no luck yet! I've heard so much about these delicate soup dumplings—filled with savory broth and tender meat, all wrapped in a thin, delicate dough. It's like a culinary adventure waiting to happen, and I'm itching to give it a try. Thanks for mentioning it—I'm even more curious about Xiao Long Bao now! 🥟🍲🥢

There's a famous resto for this dish and it's kinda expensive, I'll just make my own thru this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Back