Char Kway Teow Recipe

ade11e

Novice Foodie
I always loved stir-fry noodles and when I visited Malaysia last year, I tried this popular flat rice noodles stir-fried with various ingredients such as shrimp, Chinese sausage, and eggs and I loved it ever since. With that, I'm sharing here the recipe of Char Kway Teow.

Char Kway Teow Recipe:​

Char Kway Teow.jpg

Ingredients:​

• 500g flat rice noodles (fresh or dried)
  • 250g large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 150g Chinese sausage (lap cheong), sliced diagonally
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 shallots, thinly sliced
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 200g bean sprouts
  • 100g chives, cut into 2-inch lengths
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • Dark soy sauce, to taste
  • Light soy sauce, to taste
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Sambal chili paste or chili flakes (optional, for extra heat)
  • Lime wedges, for serving
  • Chopped cilantro or green onions, for garnish

Instructions:​

1. Prepare the Rice Noodles:
    • If using dried rice noodles, soak them in warm water for about 30 minutes until they are softened. Drain well before using.
    • If using fresh rice noodles, separate them gently with your fingers to prevent clumping.
  2. Stir-Fry the Ingredients:
    • Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large wok or skillet over high heat.
    • Add the shrimp and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until they turn pink and are cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the wok and set aside.
    • In the same wok, add the Chinese sausage slices and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until they are lightly browned. Remove the sausage from the wok and set aside.
    • Add the remaining vegetable oil to the wok. Add the minced garlic and sliced shallots, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
    • Push the garlic and shallots to one side of the wok and pour the beaten eggs into the empty space. Allow the eggs to set slightly before scrambling them with the garlic and shallots.
  3. Cook the Noodles:
    • Add the soaked or fresh rice noodles to the wok. Use chopsticks or tongs to toss and separate the noodles.
    • Drizzle some dark soy sauce and light soy sauce over the noodles, adjusting the amount to your taste preferences. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
    • Stir-fry the noodles for 3-4 minutes until they are evenly coated with the sauce and are heated through.
  4. Add the Remaining Ingredients:
    • Return the cooked shrimp and Chinese sausage to the wok. Add the bean sprouts and chives.
    • Stir-fry everything together for another 2-3 minutes until the bean sprouts are slightly wilted and the chives are tender.
    • If using sambal chili paste or chili flakes, add them to the wok and toss to combine.
  5. Serve:
    • Transfer the Char Kway Teow to a serving platter or individual plates.
    • Garnish with chopped cilantro or green onions.
    • Serve hot with lime wedges on the side for squeezing over the noodles.
Enjoy your homemade Char Kway Teow with friends and family! Adjust the ingredients and seasoning according to your taste preferences.

Looks incredible 🤩🙌 Those flat rice noodles look perfectly stir ..Thanks for sharing this recipe, gotta try and recreate those Malaysian flavors at home! 😋

Hello @ade11e , that is pretty good! Char Kway Teow that I had is unbelievably scrumptious, the noodles just look like a scene of heaven, the sausage and shrimp on it make me crave for more! Gotta give it a chance of preparing it in your kitchen as well sometime! 🤗

Sounds delicious! 😋 Char Kway Teow is a stir-fried noodle dish with a mix of flat rice noodles, shrimp, Chinese sausage, egg, and bean sprouts, all cooked in a flavorful soy sauce. A classic Malaysian favorite! 🍜🦐

I'm really new with this dish, the first time of hearing it, but looks very good I might try it right away ☺️

Your Char Kway Teow recipe looks fantastic! 🍜🔥 This iconic Malaysian dish is bursting with flavors and textures, from the smoky wok hei to the savory soy sauce and the tender noodles. It's a true delight for the taste buds! I can't wait to recreate it at home and savor its deliciousness. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe with us! 🌟

I always loved stir-fry noodles and when I visited Malaysia last year, I tried this popular flat rice noodles stir-fried with various ingredients such as shrimp, Chinese sausage, and eggs and I loved it ever since. With that, I'm sharing here the recipe of Char Kway Teow.

Char Kway Teow Recipe:​

View attachment 2010

Ingredients:​

• 500g flat rice noodles (fresh or dried)
  • 250g large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 150g Chinese sausage (lap cheong), sliced diagonally
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 shallots, thinly sliced
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 200g bean sprouts
  • 100g chives, cut into 2-inch lengths
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • Dark soy sauce, to taste
  • Light soy sauce, to taste
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Sambal chili paste or chili flakes (optional, for extra heat)
  • Lime wedges, for serving
  • Chopped cilantro or green onions, for garnish

Instructions:​

1. Prepare the Rice Noodles:
    • If using dried rice noodles, soak them in warm water for about 30 minutes until they are softened. Drain well before using.
    • If using fresh rice noodles, separate them gently with your fingers to prevent clumping.
  2. Stir-Fry the Ingredients:
    • Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large wok or skillet over high heat.
    • Add the shrimp and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until they turn pink and are cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the wok and set aside.
    • In the same wok, add the Chinese sausage slices and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until they are lightly browned. Remove the sausage from the wok and set aside.
    • Add the remaining vegetable oil to the wok. Add the minced garlic and sliced shallots, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
    • Push the garlic and shallots to one side of the wok and pour the beaten eggs into the empty space. Allow the eggs to set slightly before scrambling them with the garlic and shallots.
  3. Cook the Noodles:
    • Add the soaked or fresh rice noodles to the wok. Use chopsticks or tongs to toss and separate the noodles.
    • Drizzle some dark soy sauce and light soy sauce over the noodles, adjusting the amount to your taste preferences. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
    • Stir-fry the noodles for 3-4 minutes until they are evenly coated with the sauce and are heated through.
  4. Add the Remaining Ingredients:
    • Return the cooked shrimp and Chinese sausage to the wok. Add the bean sprouts and chives.
    • Stir-fry everything together for another 2-3 minutes until the bean sprouts are slightly wilted and the chives are tender.
    • If using sambal chili paste or chili flakes, add them to the wok and toss to combine.
  5. Serve:
    • Transfer the Char Kway Teow to a serving platter or individual plates.
    • Garnish with chopped cilantro or green onions.
    • Serve hot with lime wedges on the side for squeezing over the noodles.
Enjoy your homemade Char Kway Teow with friends and family! Adjust the ingredients and seasoning according to your taste preferences.
Thanks for sharing the Char Kway Teow recipe! It sounds like a flavorful and satisfying dish, perfect for enjoying the rich flavors of stir-fried rice noodles with seafood, eggs, and bean sprouts. Can't wait to make this delicious and iconic Malaysian dish for a tasty meal. 🍜🦐🍳

Back