Chicken and Dumplings Recipe 🥘

BABA_

Novice Foodie

There's something incredibly comforting about a bowl of homemade chicken and dumplings. I recently made this classic dish on a cool evening, and the aroma of the simmering broth, tender chicken, and fluffy dumplings filling my kitchen brought a sense of nostalgia and warmth. It’s a recipe that’s both hearty and soul-soothing, perfect for family dinners or cozy nights in. 🍂🍲

Ingredients 🛒

For the Chicken Stew:

• 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds), cut into pieces 🍗
  • 8 cups chicken broth 🥣
  • 2 cups water 💧
  • 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 🥕
  • 2 celery stalks, sliced 🥬
  • 1 onion, chopped 🧅
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced 🧄
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme 🌿
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley 🌱
  • 1 bay leaf 🍃
  • Salt and pepper to taste 🧂
For the Dumplings:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour 🌾
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder 🥄
  • 1 teaspoon salt 🧂
  • 1 cup whole milk 🥛
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 🧈

Procedure 🍽️

1. Prepare the Chicken Stew:

1. Cook the Chicken: In a large pot or Dutch oven, combine the chicken pieces, chicken broth, and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming off any foam, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 30-40 minutes. ⏲️
  2. Remove and Shred Chicken: Remove the chicken from the pot and let it cool slightly. Shred the meat, discarding the bones and skin. 🥄
  3. Add Vegetables: Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, parsley, and bay leaf to the pot. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. 🥕🧅🧄
  4. Return Chicken to Pot: Stir the shredded chicken back into the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 🧂
2. Make the Dumplings:

1. Prepare Dough: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the milk and melted butter, stirring just until combined. Be careful not to overmix; the dough should be soft and slightly sticky. 🍞
  2. Add Dumplings to Stew: Drop spoonfuls of the dumpling dough onto the surface of the simmering stew. Cover the pot and let the dumplings cook for 15-20 minutes. Do not uncover the pot while the dumplings are cooking, as the steam is essential for them to puff up. 🍚
3. Serve and Enjoy:

1. Finish: Once the dumplings are cooked through (they should be fluffy and firm), remove the pot from heat. 🔥
  2. Serve: Ladle the chicken stew and dumplings into bowls. Garnish with additional parsley if desired. 🍽️

Conclusion 🌟

I can still recall the joy on my family's faces when they took their first bite—each spoonful brimming with tender chicken, hearty vegetables, and melt-in-your-mouth dumplings. This chicken and dumplings recipe has quickly become a staple in my kitchen, promising warmth and comfort in every bite. I hope it brings the same delight to your table as it did to mine. Enjoy! 😋🍲

Chicken-and-Dumplings-V5.jpg

Thank you for sharing this heartwarming Chicken and Dumplings recipe! It sounds like the perfect dish for cozy nights, and I can't wait to experience the comforting flavors and aromas in my own kitchen. I'm sure it will quickly become a favorite in my household too! 🥘🍲

There's something incredibly comforting about a bowl of homemade chicken and dumplings. I recently made this classic dish on a cool evening, and the aroma of the simmering broth, tender chicken, and fluffy dumplings filling my kitchen brought a sense of nostalgia and warmth. It’s a recipe that’s both hearty and soul-soothing, perfect for family dinners or cozy nights in. 🍂🍲

Ingredients 🛒

For the Chicken Stew:

• 8 cups chicken broth 🥣
  • 2 cups water 💧
  • 1 onion, chopped 🧅
  • 1 bay leaf 🍃
For the Dumplings:

• 1 teaspoon salt 🧂
  • 1 cup whole milk 🥛

Procedure 🍽️

1. Cook the Chicken: In a large pot or Dutch oven, combine the chicken pieces, chicken broth, and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming off any foam, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 30-40 minutes. ⏲️
  2. Remove and Shred Chicken: Remove the chicken from the pot and let it cool slightly. Shred the meat, discarding the bones and skin. 🥄
  3. Add Vegetables: Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, parsley, and bay leaf to the pot. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. 🥕🧅🧄
  4. Return Chicken to Pot: Stir the shredded chicken back into the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 🧂
2. Make the Dumplings:

1. Prepare Dough: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the milk and melted butter, stirring just until combined. Be careful not to overmix; the dough should be soft and slightly sticky. 🍞
  2. Add Dumplings to Stew: Drop spoonfuls of the dumpling dough onto the surface of the simmering stew. Cover the pot and let the dumplings cook for 15-20 minutes. Do not uncover the pot while the dumplings are cooking, as the steam is essential for them to puff up. 🍚
3. Serve and Enjoy:

1. Finish: Once the dumplings are cooked through (they should be fluffy and firm), remove the pot from heat. 🔥
  2. Serve: Ladle the chicken stew and dumplings into bowls. Garnish with additional parsley if desired. 🍽️

Conclusion 🌟

I can still recall the joy on my family's faces when they took their first bite—each spoonful brimming with tender chicken, hearty vegetables, and melt-in-your-mouth dumplings. This chicken and dumplings recipe has quickly become a staple in my kitchen, promising warmth and comfort in every bite. I hope it brings the same delight to your table as it did to mine. Enjoy! 😋🍲

This chicken and dumplings recipe looks so comforting! Has anyone added a bit of thyme or rosemary to the broth? Perfect for a cozy night in! 🥘🍗🌿

This looks like ultimate comfort food! 😍🥘 Chicken and dumplings are such a cozy classic. Can’t wait to try this recipe—yum! 😋

Ingredients 🛒

For the Chicken Stew:

• 8 cups chicken broth 🥣
  • 2 cups water 💧
  • 1 onion, chopped 🧅
  • 1 bay leaf 🍃
For the Dumplings:

• 1 teaspoon salt 🧂
  • 1 cup whole milk 🥛

Procedure 🍽️

2. Make the Dumplings:

3. Serve and Enjoy:

Conclusion 🌟

Hello all! I think adding a bit of thyme and rosemary to your chicken and dumplings can really enhance the flavor. 🌿🍗

Back