Easy Ham and Cabbage Soup

JulieBaker

Culinary Explorer
Hello there, Today, I'm sharing a little treasure from Grandma's recipe book her beloved Ham and Cabbage Soup, This soup isn't just food; it's a warm hug from my Grandma herself, wrapped up in every savory spoonful, so here's how I did it
Easy Ham and Cabbage Soup.jpg

Ingredients:
  • Olive oil (for sweating)
  • Onions (2, diced)
  • Carrots (2, sliced)
  • Ham (about 1 cup, diced)
  • Garlic (2 cloves, minced)
  • Rosemary (1 teaspoon, dried or fresh)
  • Pepper (to taste)
  • Salt (to taste)
  • Cabbage (1/2 head, thinly sliced)
  • Stock (about 4 cups, any kind you prefer)
  • Diced tomatoes (1 can)
  • Bay leaves (2)
  • Lemon slices (a few, for that zesty touch)
Instruction:
  1. Heat up a splash of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Toss in your diced onions, sliced carrots, and that savory diced ham. Let them mingle and sweat it out until the ham gets a lovely golden hue and your kitchen starts smelling like a gourmet haven.
  2. Once your veggies and ham are cozy and caramelized, sprinkle in that minced garlic, fragrant rosemary, a pinch of pepper, and salt to taste. Give it all a good stir and let those flavors dance together for a minute or two.
  3. Next up, it's time to introduce your cabbage to the party! Slide those thinly sliced beauties into the pot and give them a gentle stir until they start to soften and wilt slightly.
  4. Pour in your stock, pop open that can of diced tomatoes, and gracefully drop in those bay leaves. Give it all a good stir, and then bring the pot to a gentle simmer.
  5. Now, here's the tough part: the waiting game. Let your soup simmer away, filling your kitchen with mouthwatering aromas, for about 20 minutes or until those veggies are tender and the flavors have melded into a symphony of deliciousness.
  6. Just before serving, taste your creation and adjust the seasoning as needed with a sprinkle of salt, a dash of pepper, and a few slices of fresh lemon to brighten up the flavors.
  7. Ladle up that soul-warming goodness into bowls, garnish as you please, and get ready to slurp up every last spoonful with pure delight!

And there you have it, folks! My grandma's secret recipe for Easy Ham and Cabbage Soup, served up with a sprinkle of love and a whole lot of flavor. Whether it's a rainy day or just a craving for home, remember, Grandma's love goes into every batch. So, share this recipe with loved ones and keep the tradition alive. Happy cooking! :)

Wow, sounds like a true treasure! Amazing food can realy evoke such warm memories and feelings. Thanks for sharing your recipe.!

Your recipe for Easy Ham and Cabbage Soup sounds like the perfect comfort food for a cozy night in! I can already imagine the savory flavors melding together in each spoonful. Thanks for sharing this delicious idea—I can't wait to try it out and warm up with a bowl of homemade goodness!

Back